DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On 4/24/2020 at 3:50 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Google Play)

I was never that interested in watching this and I was right all along not to be. Aside from the amazing design and visuals, not to mention a really promising concept, there's nothing of substance here and it only livens up when Angelina Jolie finally shows up. A real missed opportunity.

One of only two films I’ve walked out of the theatre during (the other being Spawn).

Utterly soulless CGI tech demo.  A master class in how not to make a film.  Actually worse than Phantom Menace.

Watched 'God Bless America' last night. One of those films I was meaning to watch for ages. Good opening half hour with plenty of laughs, but thought it got progressively duller as it went on. Last 10 or 15 minutes seriously dragged arse.

Tried to watch 'A Serious Man' after it, but fell asleep in a Guinness induced stupor. Will give it another go tonight.

• Paid Members

Only good things about Spawn were Melinda Clarke looking like utter filth, and John Leguizamo chewing the scenery.

I remember being really disappointed by Sky Captain - I really, really wanted to like it as I love the whole 1920s/30s sci-fi pastiche of it. Literally all style and no substance. 

Edited by Carbomb

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:26 PM, SuperBacon said:

Extraction (Netflix)

Absolutely shit. Just an utterly joyless action film, and Chris Hemsworth deserves better as he's wonderful.

Looks terrible as well.

Great car chase though, some fairly realistic action and I quite liked the shakey cam stuff. Bit naff at times but I thought Hemsworth came across really well in it, the handsome bastard.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Factotum said:

If you're putting Hemsworth in anything, you need to lean into the fact that the guy is brilliantly comedic. Hemsworth should be quipping all over the place.

Hemsworth is also a superb action star. This is the first film I've seen him in that fully exploits his talents in the genre by fully committing to being a straight action film. He elevates it for sure but it's a fantastic vehicle for him. And Golshifteh Farahani, who someone has to give her own action film.

I'll disagree with you there, I thought he was incredibly dull in it. I think you can position Hemsworth in a Bruce Willis type persona, an action star and incredibly charismatic and funny. He wasn't bad in this, I just didn't get anything from him.

I agre with your second point though!

• Paid Members

I’ve signed up to the MUBI channel through Amazon, and the one film I want to watch right now isn’t on there, but is on the website. Does the Amazon channel not have everything that the MUBI website has? 

• Awards Moderator

Continuing to watch terrible, terrible films I watched Miami Connection last week (set in Orlando, natch). Nothing makes sense and it is clearly a propaganda piece on the wonderful power of Tae Kwon Do. Some of the worst dialogue you'll ever hear, and this at 1min is such a gem:

Bearing in mind this is the first time we've met the guy opening the letter. The blocking of the actors, their expressions... it's a perfect cocktail of awfulness. 10/10.