DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Rolling Thunder (ok.ru)

Probably one of the most influential films on the action genre ever made, but also a really excellent and dowbeat post-Vietnam thriller. Possibly William Devane's best ever performance, but Linda Haynes steals the show. Such a shame she bowed out of the industry a couple of years later, she was an exceptional talent.

The Go-Between (Mubi)

Alan Bates and Edward Fox understandably vie for the affections of Julie Christie. Slow burn drama, impeccably acted and perfect afternoon viewing. By way of a bonus, features a fairly realistic game of cricket too, by movie standards.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON - This is a film I saw about 12 or so years ago and enjoyed it, but had forgotten most things about it. From that era, it was the one film I hadn't gone back to, and certainly the one Lumet film from this period that I hadn't rewatched at all. So I popped it in the DVD player. Fuck me what a great film. The fact I had forgotten most of it made it all the better. It's tone is pitch perfect - tense, thrilling, sad and fucking hilarious. Pacino during this period was insanely good, every role something different and he makes you sympathise with Sonny, while also doing some genuinely hilarious slapstick. John Cazale, without really saying anything, tells you everything about the character, what an actor he was. So glad I watched it again.

• Paid Members

The White Buffalo (YouTube)

Mental western which has Charles Bronson (as Wild Bill Hickok) and Will Sampson (as Crazy Horse) dragging old coot Jack Warden round mountains looking for a giant white buffalo that has been menacing the territories and popping up in Bronson's dreams. It's absolutely bizarre and while it might not all work, it's still a great laugh.

Husbands (ok.ru)

John Cassavetes, Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara behaving like arseholes for over two hours, but not in an entertaining way. I really like Cassavetes' films but while this sets out to do exactly what Cassavetes would have wanted, it wasn't for me.

• Paid Members

Undefeatable (YouTube)

Bonkers Cynthia Rothrock actioner that's almost more like a slasher film in times, as some nutcase starts murdering women who look like his estranged wife. The action scenes look like shit but it's absolutely hilarious and conpletely ridiculous.

The Company of Strangers (ok.ru)

Fair to say this was a completely different experience from the one above. A docudrama about a busload of old ladies who become stranded in the Canadian outback, this is one of the most relaxing and lovely films I've probably ever seen. Largely unknown but just wonderful, the best thing I've watched this year so far.

• Paid Members
On 4/21/2020 at 3:27 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Go-Between (Mubi)

Alan Bates and Edward Fox understandably vie for the affections of Julie Christie. Slow burn drama, impeccably acted and perfect afternoon viewing. By way of a bonus, features a fairly realistic game of cricket too, by movie standards.

Think I probably need to re-watch this. We did the book for GCSE English, and watched the film in class. Was bored senseless, apart from when Julie Christie was on, and I'm fairly sure it's just because I was too young to appreciate it. I could tell the acting was great (how could it not be?), but the content just put me right off, especially as we'd gone through the book so exhaustively.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Think I probably need to re-watch this. We did the book for GCSE English, and watched the film in class. Was bored senseless, apart from when Julie Christie was on, and I'm fairly sure it's just because I was too young to appreciate it. I could tell the acting was great (how could it not be?), but the content just put me right off, especially as we'd gone through the book so exhaustively.

It's very slow and not exactly packed with incident, so you weren't necessarily wrong first time round. Then again, I probably would have hated it as a teenager as well.

• Paid Members

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Google Play)

I was never that interested in watching this and I was right all along not to be. Aside from the amazing design and visuals, not to mention a really promising concept, there's nothing of substance here and it only livens up when Angelina Jolie finally shows up. A real missed opportunity.

Marathon Man (ok.ru)

I know this has picked up a fair few detractors over the years for its plot holes, which are definitely there, but this is a cracking typically 70s thriller. Definitely still one of my favourites of the era.

Malcolm (YouTube)

Splendid little Aussie crime comedy from the 80s with some of the most unique heists you'll still ever see. Surprised it doesn't have more of a following these days, but easily one of the best Australian films of the 1980s and maybe beyond.

Watched Sixteen Candles last night for the first time in a long time. My Mrs had never seen it and really enjoyed it. Also testament to how good it is was that our 15 year old daughter who actively shits on any film I suggest watching wandered in as it was starting and watched the whole film with us. She seemed to really like it too, mainly because of how often John Hughes films are referenced in films she loves like Pitch Perfect, Easy A and The Duff.

Going to try and get them to watch The Breakfast Club tonight and hopefully Ferris Bueller over the weekend. I wouldn't mind giving Weird Science a go as I haven't watched it in probably 20 years. I mentioned my plans to a workmate on IM and he's recommended Heathers which I've never seen, may have to work that in somehow,

• Paid Members

Watched Mysterious Skin a couple of nights ago. Man, that's a difficult watch. It's a really good film, but it's harrowing and heart-breaking. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is always worth a watch, and he's magnetic in this. Almost overshadows everyone else, but Brady Corbet also puts in a decent shift as his fellow victim growing up parallel to but away from him. The rest of the cast are all good, except for Michelle Trachtenberg - I can't think of anything I've seen her in outside Buffy where she's even remotely believable. The kid who plays the young JGL character is surprisingly good.

It was definitely a film I'm glad I watched, but I don't think I would say I enjoyed it. It definitely moved me, and I found I had to take some deep breaths during the more disturbing scenes, but I don't imagine I'll ever watch it again.

Trigger warning:

In addition to implied paedophilia, it has a graphic depiction of a very violent rape in it.

Have been doing some clearing out some things in the house, and I re-discovered a stack of DVDs I'd collected, some of which I'd never got round to watching - they were all free giveaways in The Guardian from years ago. This one's next:

1173917797_bagdadcafe.jpg.c1f2e8c346471e31e611a20998a561b5.jpg

Seeing Jack Palance's name alone is enough, but I remember CCH Pounder's performances in The Shield, so this should be decent.

Edited by Carbomb