DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Invisible Man - The camera work in the first half made it tense as fuck. Excellently crafted. Lost it’s way a bit in the second half but Elizabeth Moss was enough to carry it over the finish line. 

• Awards Moderator

The Lavender Hill Mob is on iPlayer at the moment. I’d never seen it before so we watched it at lunchtime - it’s bloody brilliant! A bit of a masterpiece. If you’re ignorant like me and haven’t seen it before either I give it the highest recommendation.

I caught Raiders of the Lost Ark yesterday for the millionth time and the tale end of Temple of Doom just now. Harrison Ford is the most charismatic actor of all time isn't he? 

I'd be tempted to go with Cruise because he's a massive dorky weirdo and manages to overcome that with his charisma but it's Ford. 

• Paid Members

Spookies (YouTube)

Incomprehensible 80s horror that makes up for it with some legitimately brilliant effects and monster design. Doesn't make a jot of sense but I didn't really care.

The Decline (Netflix)

French-Canadian thriller about a survivalist training people how to survive the end of the world. Nothing happens for 40 minutes and then it becomes a pretty good action-adventure. Worth persevering with.

Love Wedding Repeat

Categorically NOT a good film, but there is enough of a decent supporting cast to make it watchable. Although Sam Claflin is far too ugly to be a leading man in a romantic comedy (well aware I'm no oil painting, cheers) and he also has an awful hair cut which seems to switch halfway through.

Tim Key is fun, as is Joel Fry (another ugly man that inexplicably gets to kiss Aisling Bea, so he can die in a fire), but the highlight is Allan Mustafa, taking a break from being the best MC in the galaxy to steal the film. Each and every.

The Breakfast Club

Still an incredibly dumb film but I don't care, I still love it. I will never not pop for Estevez being the only person in the history of the universe to get MORE energy after smoking weed.

Sixteen Candles

A little bit more irritating than I remembered but Molly Ringwald is superb.

Ferris Buellers Day Off

A LOT more irritating than I remembered. He's a little cretin isn't he? Everyone else in the film is great, but he's terrible (Bueller that is. I will always love Broderick)

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Ferris Buellers Day Off

A LOT more irritating than I remembered. He's a little cretin isn't he? Everyone else in the film is great, but he's terrible (Bueller that is. I will always love Broderick)

It's a great indicator of how old you are and how you change.  When you were young, you rooted for Ferris but then you realise the hero of the film is Rooney.

12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ferris might be more of a selfish dick than a lovable rascal, but Rooney is a fucking pathetic mug; he's no hero.

He is in that film as everyone else is a wanker. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ferris might be more of a selfish dick than a lovable rascal, but Rooney is a fucking pathetic mug; he's no hero.

Also a real life nonce.