DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Driver (ok.ru)

Imagine thinking Drive is better than this. Almost certainly Walter Hill's best film and a perfect link between gritty 70s crime and 80s action. Isabelle Adjani in a hat too.

The French Connection (ok.ru)

There aren't many actors who had a better decade than Roy Scheider had in the 70s. Just an incredible run of films considering he was largely unknown before Klute, which he made in the same year. Freezing cold New York never looked less appealing and this is still one of the greatest crime films ever made.

• Paid Members

Scheider was just good in everything. Saw Klute recently and loved it.

Also finally saw Barbarella (Amazon Prime), on a connected point, which was both sillier and more entertaining than I expected. It's a mess, which never goes anywhere particularly good, but Jane Fonda is perfect in the lead. And that opening credit sequence is just... well. Blimey.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

I'm loving this new labeling where we watch stuff gimmick. I've just watched The Driver and The Lavender Hill Mob thanks to it. Cheers guys. Chances are I'd have just had quick peek on Netflix and Prime for them then moved on without them. Both tremendous by the way.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

I watched Vin Diesel's new one, Bloodshot. It's based on a comic but really it's no more a superhero movie than The Terminator or Upgrade, it's actually a pretty OK action sci-fi that is at least a little bit smarter than it first appears.

Vin Diesel is alright, I don't think anyone really loves him do they? Eiza González is in it though. And Guy Pearce playing the most Guy Pearce role.

10 hours ago, DEF said:

I'm loving this new labeling where we watch stuff gimmick. I've just watched The Driver and The Lavender Hill Mob thanks to it. Cheers guys. Chances are I'd have just had quick peek on Netflix and Prime for them then moved on without them. Both tremendous by the way.

You can use justwatch to see what platforms have films/shows too, but it only lists official streaming services. 

It's what I use for Prime as tbh their search function is shit.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It's the fucking shits. The amount of times I've gone to watch something only to be informed that the episode is ÂŁ2.49. Just another reason to hate Amazon the horrible necessary bastards.

You'll also find that some films that are available free with Prime, won't show up and you'll get the pay for version showing. It's terrible. 

• Paid Members

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Netflix)

Annoyed I didn't see this at the cinema. I don't normally let bad reviews of action films deter me because they're usually wrong and they were this time too. A bit too long and the support cast are underused but as an action film, I was surprised at just how much it prioritised that over 'gal pal' comedy. It's funny as well but I really enjoyed this overall.

Below (Google Play / YouTube rental)

Boring submarine ghost thing. David Twohy has directed some really good stuff (A PERFECT GETAWAY) but this never really decides what it wants to be despite a different approach to this sort of thing.

The Child's Play remake, wasn't too keen when I heard about it being made, considering the original series is still being made, noticed it was on Netflix this afternoon so decided to give it a go, it's surprisingly really good and Mark Hammill does a decent job at voicing Chucky but it's still not a patch on Brad Douriff

• Paid Members

Sweetheart (Google Play)

Decent little horror film that, like most such films these days, becomes less enjoyable and more stupid as it goes along. A decent time-passer though, and Kiersey Clemons is superb in the lead. Deserves a huge role somewhere.

Gemini Man (Google Play / YouTube rental)

I can see why this got the shit kicked out of it critically. It looks like absolute dogshit, especially the Will Smith deepfake. It really struggles to retain some semblance of dignity after that but there's some great action here and as a pure action film, it's more than worthwhile. The motorbike chase is brilliant, and you also get Benedict Wong and Mary Elizabeth Winstead doing their usual classy work. Deserves at least a bit better than it got.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Gemini Man (Google Play / YouTube rental)

I can see why this got the shit kicked out of it critically. It looks like absolute dogshit, especially the Will Smith deepfake. It really struggles to retain some semblance of dignity after that but there's some great action here and as a pure action film, it's more than worthwhile. The motorbike chase is brilliant, and you also get Benedict Wong and Mary Elizabeth Winstead doing their usual classy work. Deserves at least a bit better than it got.

The word at the time was in the 60fps 3D version that the deepfake Will looked pretty good. It’s a shame very few places could show it in the intended presentation so we could judge for ourselves 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The word at the time was in the 60fps 3D version that the deepfake Will looked pretty good. It’s a shame very few places could show it in the intended presentation so we could judge for ourselves 

Tbh seeing it on a massive screen might just have made it look even worse. It's just a distraction from a perfectly decent actioner.