DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Continuing to watch terrible, terrible films I watched Miami Connection last week (set in Orlando, natch). Nothing makes sense and it is clearly a propaganda piece on the wonderful power of Tae Kwon Do. Some of the worst dialogue you'll ever hear, and this at 1min is such a gem:

Bearing in mind this is the first time we've met the guy opening the letter. The blocking of the actors, their expressions... it's a perfect cocktail of awfulness. 10/10.

That image alone has reminded me I need to get a copy of Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon

• Paid Members

Miami Connection is one of my favourite Blurays. Its magnificent.

I only watched The Last Dragon a couple weeks back for the first time. Not quite as magical as Miami Connection mainly by being at least half hour too long but still super fun. That ending fight scene is top 80s silly stuff. It's under a fiver in HD on Amazon Instant.

My Spy with Big Dave. Once ITV lose the rights to show Liar Liar every other week, this will fill the gap nicely with some slight content editing. Dave’s never going to trouble anyone in the acting stakes, and he’llbe the first person to tell you that, but he’s fine as the loveable hero.

Its a shame that’s going to be such a financial loser due to the situation, but it could prove popular once it hits streaming services (not the current ‘Rent Because You Can’t Go to the Real Cinema’ market)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

My Life As A Courgette is on All4 at the moment and is mesmerisingly lovely, heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. All the recommendations.

Also written by Celine Sciamma, who directed that Portrait of a Lady on Fire that you might have heard of.

Bulletproof (YouTube)

Gary Busey calls people a butthorn a lot and Darlanne Fleugel in an army uniform. So loads going for it, obviously. Quality 80s action fare.

Rust Creek (Amazon Prime rental)

Lovely Hermione Corfield gets a deserved lead role but it's a shame it's in a boring 'wrong turn' thriller. You've seen it all before.

Aliens (ok.ru)

Rewatched just to check it's still perfect, and, of course, it is. Will check again later in the year, naturally.

Predator (Amazon Prime rental)

Ditto.

The GF insisted on not letting me watch whatever I want last night so I watched The Town again. Man it's a really good film and a compromise that makes me feel like I won. 

In the mood for some Affleck now, there's a few good ones I've missed out on in the last couple of years but i'll probably end up watching Argo again then watching the dirty bastard chowing on some fine ass titties in Gone Girl.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The GF insisted on not letting me watch whatever I want last night so I watched The Town again. Man it's a really good film and a compromise that makes me feel like I won. 

In the mood for some Affleck now, there's a few good ones I've missed out on in the last couple of years but i'll probably end up watching Argo again then watching the dirty bastard chowing on some fine ass titties in Gone Girl.

Have you seen The Accountant, Gone Baby Gone or Triple Frontier? All essentials for the discerning Affleckhead. State of Play is alright as well.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Have you seen The Accountant, Gone Baby Gone or Triple Frontier? All essentials for the discerning Affleckhead. State of Play is alright as well.

Have you seen The Way Back yet? I was excited when they announce a sequel to The Accountant. Wonder if we will ever see it?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Have you seen The Way Back yet? I was excited when they announce a sequel to The Accountant. Wonder if we will ever see it?

I hate basketball so I'm reluctant to watch it, really. And yeah, that sequel seems to have been stuck in pre-production for a while now, the ship might have sailed on that.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Accountant is on my to watch list. Gone Baby Gone is a great dose of double Affleck. Casey Affleck always pretty great actually. Triple Frontier was enjoyable enough, even Hunnam did his bit.

I've not seen Changing Lanes for years, I might throw that in to the mix.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I've not seen Changing Lanes for years, I might throw that in to the mix.

I rewatched it a few months back, it stands up extremely well. Really great little film. @Frankie Crisp is a big fan of it too.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, it’s on my go-to list. That last scene (without spoilers) gets me every sodding time. Sydney Pollack is fantastic as the ruthless bastard but the two leads steal it. Up their with their best performances, respectively.

• Paid Members

Bad Education (nefarious means)

Not the Jack Whitehall one, the new Hugh Jackman one. Aside from it getting a bit predictable towards the end, this is a cracking film full of excellent performances and a good sense of humour. Blindspotting fans get Rafael Casal in a completely different role and almost stealing the show but this is almost certainly Jackman's best ever performance.

Lord of War (Netflix)

Shite. I've had enough of these vaguely biographical crime films that start quite funny and then go dark at the end. Fair play for keeping Nicolas Cage's character a complete arsehole to the end but this was largely boring and not even Winston from In Sickness and in Health can save it.

12 Angry Men (archive.org)

Reminder that this was Sidney Lumet's debut. Fucking hell. One of the great pieces of American cinema, without question.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

12 Angry Men (archive.org)

Reminder that this was Sidney Lumet's debut. Fucking hell. One of the great pieces of American cinema, without question.

That's mad. We watched the 1997 remake last night, and although nowhere near as good as the original, it's really good, and a remarkable achievement in itself for ithe big set set of clanging brass bollocks it displays in remaking it.
Tony Danza could actually act when he wasn't being a precursor to Matt LeBlanc, too.