DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Yeah, Mandy is fucking awful.  Whoopee, someone got a lens filter set for christmas.  Usually when Cage is mentioned, I post an excellent piece from FiveThirtyEight about the types of Cage films.  This is no exception.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-five-types-of-nicolas-cage-movies/

• Paid Members

Watched Detective Pikachu this morning. Was fun. I loved that Psyduck was in it quite a lot. I saw somebody was trying to get a discussion about Dnowpiercer happening in another thread? It's on Netflix, so I may give it a watch this weekend. 

• Paid Members

Bad Day at Black Rock (ok.ru)

It's still one of the greatest films ever made. And, it should be pointed out on any discussion of this film for those who are in the dark about it, a one-armed Spencer Tracy....

karate chops

....Ernest Borgnine.

Alien (Amazon Prime rental)

The more I watch this, the more I wonder just how Ridley Scott fucked up Prometheus and Alien: Covenant so badly. To the point where nobody actually cares if he finishes that trilogy. Amazing.

Analyze This

Fair play, to Billy Crystal. He carried this movie and seemed to be the only one who actually bothered trying. De Niro was one step away from reading his lines off a card held by someone standing next to the camera, and don't get me started on his fucking crying. Jesus wept. It was funny enough at times but could have been so much better if the others actually gave a fuck. 

Jelly was the MVP of this film, too.

• Paid Members

Ready or Not - I really, truly enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. Samara Weaving is unfairly and lazily labelled a shite Margot Robbie - unlike Logan Marshall-Green who for the most part really is a shite Tom Hardy - and was outstanding throughout this. Although an utterly bizarre movie, it's one I had a fucking hoot watching and it was kind of like if Cabin in the Woods met Knives Out by way of Surviving the Game.
Would love to see more from and within that 'universe', but for the most part, Cinematic Universes are gik, so it's grand as is.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Ready or Not - I really, truly enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. Samara Weaving is unfairly and lazily labelled a shite Margot Robbie - unlike Logan Marshall-Green who for the most part really is a shite Tom Hardy - and was outstanding throughout this. Although an utterly bizarre movie, it's one I had a fucking hoot watching and it was kind of like if Cabin in the Woods met Knives Out by way of Surviving the Game.
Would love to see more from and within that 'universe', but for the most part, Cinematic Universes are gik, so it's grand as is.

Yeah, I loved this one. Have you seen Mayhem? Weaving's great in that in a similar sort of role, cracking film too.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Alien (Amazon Prime rental)

The more I watch this, the more I wonder just how Ridley Scott fucked up Prometheus and Alien: Covenant so badly. To the point where nobody actually cares if he finishes that trilogy. Amazing.

I have a theory about this, having studied his films a lot.

Before he filmed Alien he was a music video and advert director - he was hired to take something that existed and make it pretty.

His early films are, if you like, adaptations of other people’s work where he is hired as the director.  He’s working with name actors who are invested in the product, producers who have developed the scripts etc.  Scott is there for his incredible eye - he’s an awesome cinematographer and production designer.

On Alien he was all at sea apparently - I’ve chatted with a few of the British crew and he covered what he didn’t know by leaning on experienced hands.  When he went to the States to film Blade Runner he took some of them with him and then got on the wrong side of the highly unionised crews over there.

The more successful he became, the more control he’s got over his projects - he develops them from scratch via his production company. I feel this means he requires less input from actors (who are props to him), writers and so on.  And he’s not a Renaissance man like some directors, he’s not brilliant at everything.

So Prometheus etc look great but have no soul, and he’s not bothered because he’s so driven he’s on to the next one.  As evidence I present his re-edit of Alien which genuinely added nothing of note.

Can you imagine what his Blade Runner sequels would have been like?  Not nearly as good.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, I loved this one. Have you seen Mayhem? Weaving's great in that in a similar sort of role, cracking film too.

That's one I keep meaning to watch, D-Mal, and it keeps popping out of my head when I'm looking for something new. That's tonight's viewing sorted!
I enjoyed The Babysitter too. Had no idea it was McG until the end...

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

That's one I keep meaning to watch, D-Mal, and it keeps popping out of my head when I'm looking for something new. That's tonight's viewing sorted!
I enjoyed The Babysitter too. Had no idea it was McG until the end...

I was surprised by The Babysitter as well, it was genuinely good. Be interesting to see how the sequel goes.

• Paid Members

I had pretty much given up on Ridley Scott but then he went and made The Martian, which gave me some false hope we were going to get some late-career purple patch from him, then he followed it up with Alien: Covenant which is just one big, dumb and dull experience. Sadly The Martian will probably prove to be more of an apparition than a refound proficiency for his craft.

On @Loki's point, Mark Kermode is forever saying Ridley Scott should slow down how many films he pumps out, becoming more selective. Ever since the success of Gladiator 20 years ago, he's churned out a staggering 14 movies, and if you're being kind you can say 3 of them are of significant quality.

It's annoying because we saw with The Martian that there is still some excellence rattling about in there.

Gladiator and The Martian have been excellent I'd argue.   But it’s a terrible hit rate.