DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (nefarious means)

Absoutely ridiculous that this film is 52 years old and still looks better than almost anything else made since. Also ridiculous that I didn't like it at all when I first saw it. Have to see this on a big screen someday.

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (TCM)

Marks the point at which Spielberg started to become a Serious Filmmaker rather than arseing around making nonsense like Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark and that sort of shite. In all seriousness though, this is still really good - and I'd forgotten Joey Pants was in it too, so that was a good bonus.

6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (TCM)

Marks the point at which Spielberg started to become a Serious Filmmaker rather than arseing around making nonsense like Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark and that sort of shite. In all seriousness though, this is still really good - and I'd forgotten Joey Pants was in it too, so that was a good bonus.

Somehow mis-read this as Tears Of The Sun and was trying to place Joey Pants as one of Bruce Willis' army tough guys.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absoutely ridiculous that this film is 52 years old and still looks better than almost anything else made since. Also ridiculous that I didn't like it at all when I first saw it. Have to see this on a big screen someday.

While I've always liked it, I found a whole new appreciation for it when I watched it in the cinema a couple of years ago. I often thought on the big screen the effects would look less awe-inspiring and you'd maybe see more holes in how they got it all to work but there is none of that - instead it's more impressive. It just doesn't really make sense something so old about sci-fi can still look so great, comparatively. I can only imagine how incredible it must have been seeing it for the first time back when it was released, before people started to pinch everything from it.

I've never been the biggest fan of all the lightshow near the end but it's so much more immersive at the cinema. Hypnotic, almost.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I remember seeing Empire Of The Sun in the cinema - like all of Spielberg’s movies it’s designed for the big screen and was utterly mesmeric.

Is he the greatest film director of all time?  What an incredible resume.  Hardly a duffer either.

I rewatched War Of The Worlds the other day, the first half an hour or so of that may be the greatest action sequence ever.  The camera movement in and out of buildings is technically almost incomprehensible without CGI but I’m certain it’s in picture.

Edited by Loki

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (nefarious means)

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (TCM)

Empire of the Sun is dogshit as it uses a a Welsh lullaby as the Japanese music. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Empire of the Sun is dogshit as it uses a a Welsh lullaby as the Japanese music. 

Foreign all sounds the same to me.

On Spielberg, he has made a good few duffers but I don't think that should be held against him considering how many films he's made. In terms of influence, especially on Hollywood, there's nobody ahead of him. In terms of being the best and most consistent, I'm with Stan the Man every time, narrowly ahead of that Kurosawa bloke. And Big Alf.

Edited by Devon Malcolm