DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On 10/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, LEGIT said:

Not sure what's the right thread for this, but I see Robert Forster has died. I was a fan, Alligator was a favourite of mine, kids always have that scary movie they're allowed to watch that terrified them. For some it was Chucky or films like that, mines was Alligator. 

I really liked him, he was a good actor and very handsome and cool in his own way. He'll probably be best remembered for Jackie Brown, another great film. RIP 

He's a big part of why Jackie Brown remains my favourite Tarantino.  He and Pam Grier are just fantastic, they bring a depth to the characters that you rarely see from Tarantino.  He thoroughly deserved his sunset career.  Rip.

55 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Watched The Edge of Seventeen on iPlayer this evening and really enjoyed it. The last few years has produced some really great coming-of-age comedy/dramas.

Also, Woody Harrelson absolutely killing it with the adlibs.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s fucking fantastic. It’s made it into my Top 10 of all time, if there is such a thing.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's great. I didn't like it *quite* as much on a rewatch but it's still one of the very best in its genre. Apparently Kelly Fremon Craig was doing an adaptation of this next:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_There_God%3F_It's_Me,_Margaret.#Film_adaptation

Haven't heard anything about it for months though.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Loki said:

He's a big part of why Jackie Brown remains my favourite Tarantino.  He and Pam Grier are just fantastic, they bring a depth to the characters that you rarely see from Tarantino.  He thoroughly deserved his sunset career.  Rip.

Reservoir Dogs is my favourite Tarantino, but Jackie Brown definitely feels like his best one to me. It just feels more solid and well-crafted as a film compared to the others in general. 

Jackie Brown is an absolute masterpiece. It is so well done its scary. I thought OUATIH came close to it in terms of setting a mood but Jackie Brown remains the number 1. I'm glad that people have realised its brilliance as it got a really mixed reception on release.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Gemini Man

I was expecting something hilariously bad, but it was just not good.  Some semi-reasonable action between the plodding.  I wouldn't bother seeing it.

I read Ang Lee filmed it in 120fps 3D and those that have seen it both ways have said it’s way more impressive and changes their enjoyment of the film. Like Avatar though no gimmick should improve the film it’s either a good film or it’s not! And yeah I know I’m the 3D loving twat here but I still believe that.

whats funny though is only 4 screens in America have the right technology to show it in this desired format. Over here I don’t think we even have one screen that can play it so that’s a massive misfire. Wonder how Avatar 2-4 are being filmed? 

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Sad to hear the reviews of that on here. Has @Astro Hollywood  seen it yet, and what did he think of it?

The thing that is most disappointing about the reviews both on here and in the media is that they're not even bad it's all just meh. It's hard to think of anyone being indifferent to something Morris has done.

He's on the latest The Adam Buxton Podcast if anyone is interested. 

Yeah I love Morris and you feel there's a better story in that film then the one we get. A very good central performance cannot save it from being just 'OK'.

Didn't know he was on Buxton's, look forward to that! Seeing his interview on CH4 news was fascinating. It is still odd seeing him 'in the wild' as it were