DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

58 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Just tapped out a little over an hour in. Couldn't get into it at all.

Should be right up my street but the whole movie just felt off to me, or maybe I'm just a miserable old prick now.

Nah it's shit, Michael Bay Transformers like shit.

It looks ugly too.

• Paid Members

So, Doctor Sleep.

I thought it was absolutely excellent. No fan service, interesting connections to The Shining, and a rare good use of a lengthy running time. Mike Flanagan was a natural choice to do it but he really did knock it out of the park. I hope it's a big hit for him, he deserves it.

My favourite part:-

Rebecca Ferguson, who's the best thing in it, strolling into the Overlook Hotel like, "I can't believe I'm fucking here!"

• Paid Members
Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Just listening to Kim Newman sing it's praises too. Hopefully King hates it so it get's the full seal of approval.

Apparently Flanagan did approach King to ask his opinion on the adaptation but considering how he approaches The Shining, by focusing on Kubrick's film rather than King's novel, he probably rejected his advice. And rightly so. Mind you, King did sing Flanagan's praises over Gerald's Game, so who knows.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Apparently Flanagan did approach King to ask his opinion on the adaptation but considering how he approaches The Shining, by focusing on Kubrick's film rather than King's novel, he probably rejected his advice. And rightly so. Mind you, King did sing Flanagan's praises over Gerald's Game, so who knows.

I read somewhere that King's entirely supportive. His hatred of The Shining is likely more down to the plot elements than anything else (Jack is as autobiographical a role as he ever wrote, and is effectively the hero by the end - Kubrick drops that redemption), and Flanagan convinced him that the Overlook people know is the movie version. 

• Paid Members

Watching Escape Plan. It's an interesting one. Shame Schwarzenegger was all over the poster as the reveal if nobody had known he was going to be in it I'd imagine there'd have been quite the pop for it in cinemas. Apparently Batista is in the straight to DVD sequels.

Edit: The second one is also on Netflix. There's an obvious Chinese lean to it, so I can see where the money is coming from, and where it's aimed, although it is a pretty big step down in budget from the first. It ends with a setup for the third one. With the right backers and pushing in certain territories it's a franchise that'll just keep going. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Watching Escape Plan. It's an interesting one. Shame Schwarzenegger was all over the poster as the reveal if nobody had known he was going to be in it I'd imagine there'd have been quite the pop for it in cinemas. Apparently Batista is in the straight to DVD sequels.

The first Escape Plan is great fun. The second one is absolutely awful. I'm not watching the third one.

Agree with everyone about Dolemite Is My Name, just so enjoyable and very funny.

The Laundromat? Less so. Like we needed a shit The Big Short, as that was shit in the first place.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The original Dolemite movie is up on Amazon Prime if anyone wants a pimpin' fix.

What order do you reckon would be best to watch them in? 

Doctor Sleep. A really good adaptation of King's crazy shit. Gets a good performance out of McGregor who is more than capable of being really bad in this kind of thing. I enjoyed the vampires chowing on the shining plot but I can see the last act dividing aidiences. For me the only bit that didn't work was

cosplay Jack Nicholson but other than that it was a great spectacle

Rebecca Ferguson can  eat my steam anytime.

• Paid Members

Went to see Official Secrets at the new Everyman cinema in Manchester that I'm sure fellow ponce @Keith Houchen will check out one day too, and it's very good stuff. Good quality political thriller a la All the President's Men and so on, and pleasingly anti-Tony Blair.

I also just saw Wild and though I normally can't be doing with Reese Witherspoon, this was great. Didn't know she got them out in this either, so that was a bonus in an already really good film.