DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

He's on the latest The Adam Buxton Podcast if anyone is interested. 

Just this second finished it, and it's a brilliant listen. Even more so that he doesn't interview very often. There is a second version of it due this week because Adam thought the first round had completely failed. Don't know how different it will be. 

https://play.acast.com/s/adambuxton/79505551-ee06-4818-af4b-80b132a35e1d

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Sad to hear the reviews of that on here. Has @Astro Hollywood  seen it yet, and what did he think of it?

I did like it a lot, but it's not up there with my favourite of his stuff. All the parts with Moses felt like classic Morris, with his off-cadence dialogue, but in the final third especially, the FBI stuff came across a bit muddled, like a Thick of It that didn't quite hit the mark. But it's hard to rate it against other movies, because my expectations with him are always through the ceiling, and I'm such a fan, I'm aware I can't be objective about it really.

• Awards Moderator

The Wizard of Oz

The local Picturehouse had it on, 80 years after its release. It’s amazing.

Obviously seen it a shitload as a kid but it must be a good three decades since I last laid eyes on it. Partly went for the nostalgia, but honestly it’s such a gorgeous, engrossing film.

Watching it as an adult doesn’t lessen the childhood throwbacks, but throughout it I kept imagining how good it must have felt watching it in 1939 for the first time. It must have been mental. The early black and white scenes and dialogue are minimal but set it up nicely, then after there it’s just one big lovely bit of fun. And some woman brought her kids who cried at the flying monkeys which made me feel like less of a shithouse for doing the same when I first saw the mad little gets when I was about 5.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

17 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I did like it a lot, but it's not up there with my favourite of his stuff. All the parts with Moses felt like classic Morris, with his off-cadence dialogue, but in the final third especially, the FBI stuff came across a bit muddled, like a Thick of It that didn't quite hit the mark. But it's hard to rate it against other movies, because my expectations with him are always through the ceiling, and I'm such a fan, I'm aware I can't be objective about it really.

You absolutely nailed it. I was on such a high at the start because the so much of the dialogue felt like the Chris Morris poetry of old (I really liked 4 Lions but always felt it was missing that) but around the stuff with Jim Gaffigan's character I was struggling to feel the focus of the film, it just seemed a bit muddled. I guess the stuff he wanted to talk about is really fascinating (and shocking) but it doesn't necessarily fit in a traditional film narrative given it's essentially "FBI do terrible things"

I did think the final few moments were really well done but it definitely kinda lost it's focus after the interrogation room scene (and even that just kinda happens)

Still really enjoyed it, it's always a pleasure to spend a little time in Chris Morris' brain 

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

Had a bit of a nostalgia fest over the past few days. Perfect post-dinner viewing.

Jumanji - Oh boy, does this not hold up. The CGI is terrible, even by '95 standards, and worst of all it's just terribly boring. The colour palette is awful too, it felt like I was playing a video game from the late 00's, back when the only colours available were greys, browns and swampy green. Some of the animatronics are great though, holding up their end of the Practical effects VS CGI argument.

Adamms Family Values - Now this holds up, and was actually funnier than when I last watched it on some random weekend afternoon a few years back. Everyone looks like they're having a blast, and although maybe not as strong as the first movie, some of the jokes in this are superb and the interplay between everyone is spot on. The white privilege stuff feels like it packs a heavier punch too.

Ghostbusters - What can be said about this, eh? A classic, and as an adult all the little jokes and subtle gags really make the film what it is. No need for a proper write-up here.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Had a bit of a nostalgia fest over the past few days. Perfect post-dinner viewing.

Jumanji - Oh boy, does this not hold up. The CGI is terrible, even by '95 standards, and worst of all it's just terribly boring. The colour palette is awful too, it felt like I was playing a video game from the late 00's, back when the only colours available were greys, browns and swampy green. Some of the animatronics are great though, holding up their end of the Practical effects VS CGI argument.

Ghostbusters - What can be said about this, eh? A classic, and as an adult all the little jokes and subtle gags really make the film what it is. No need for a proper write-up here.

I remember seeing Jumanji at the cinema and even then thought the CGI was shitty. Watching now with my kids and they say how hokey it looks, and they are being shown lots of films from our youth, though things like The Goonies and Labyrinth obviously didnt have the CGI problem. 

We also watched Ghostbusters together and hadn't seen it in years. How they got away with some of those jokes in a PG I'll never know, but holds up really well

• Paid Members

Zombieland: Double Tap was just as enjoyable as the original. Doesn't try and expand the story too much and everyone seems to be having a laugh with it. Wasn't keen on the new characters, aside from Zoey Deutch, but it was worth waiting for.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Zombieland: Double Tap was just as enjoyable as the original. Doesn't try and expand the story too much and everyone seems to be having a laugh with it. Wasn't keen on the new characters, aside from Zoey Deutch, but it was worth waiting for.

Just came back from seeing this. Love the first so was a bit anxious I was going to hate this based on the couple of trailers I've seen. Glad that wasn't the case as I really, really liked it. I've no idea why they would put the few jokes that fell flat into the trailer.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

Some great references in Farmageddon and an unexpected blast of the Chemical Brothers to boot. Slightly preferred it to the first Shaun the Sheep film but I assume anyone who doesn't like these films isn't even fit to be a Tory.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Really quite enjoyed the new Lion King film. I thought they done a great job, and visually it's absolutely stunning. 

Hopefully watching Toy Story 4 tomorrow. 

It’s in my top 3 worst films I’ve seen at the cinema this year. Seems to be marmite though. It’s all animated, so yeah, great photo realism and all, but all felt unnecessary. Like a big budget Animal Magic. 

Glad you enjoyed it though. I personally found Toy Story 4 to be a good addition to the series so hope you get to see it.

• Paid Members

I actually thought Gemini Man was pretty good, was gutted when Clive Owen showed up in the exact same role I hated him in in the Informer a couple of weeks ago though.

It was shot in 120fps 4k 3d, I'm not 100% sure what that means and I didn't know til after I saw it, but I could tell it looked different, I couldn't put my finger on it, your eyes focus on different places and you notice stuff you don't realise you don't notice in other films.

CG young will was 98% realistic and it was a fun showcase for the new horrifying technology that means we live in a world where even after he dies we can still have have young Will Smith star in films forever.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s in my top 3 worst films I’ve seen at the cinema this year. Seems to be marmite though. It’s all animated, so yeah, great photo realism and all, but all felt unnecessary. Like a big budget Animal Magic. 

Glad you enjoyed it though. I personally found Toy Story 4 to be a good addition to the series so hope you get to see it.

What was it you didn't like? It was essentially an insanely remastered version of the original but with different voices. And that wasn't a major issue because they kept the one that mattered.

If I'm going to nit pick though, I was disappointed with no Ed, and also the "they call me MR PIG!" line. 

If SNL haven't done a bit where Will Smith appears to plug his film then his younger Fresh Prince self pops up too then they've missed a trick.

We watched A Simple Favour which was basically Paul Feig trying something new, chucking a load of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Luckily most of it did bar an unnecessary overly twisty third act and a big reveal that comes too early. Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively pulled it up a fair bit.

Definitely on Feigs' hit side of his hit and miss catalogue.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

What was it you didn't like? It was essentially an insanely remastered version of the original but with different voices. And that wasn't a major issue because they kept the one that mattered.

If I'm going to nit pick though, I was disappointed with no Ed, and also the "they call me MR PIG!" line. 

Bingo! Just unnecessary. It was almost a shot for shot. But because animals aren’t able to convey emotions in the same way a cartoon version would I felt none of the emotional impact of the original. At least Jungle Book, Aladdin, Dumbo etc played around with the original films and changed things, this barely changed a thing