DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Yes, it was great fun.  Woody in particular looked like he was having the time of his life.

He's a global treasure. What a fantastic decade he's had.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Loki said:

I wish you'd all stop going to these redundant and creatively bankrupt remakes, you'll just encourage them.

1) I need to for my podcast

2) I have an unlimited card so they don’t get a full ticket cost from me

Zombieland:Double Tap - Not as good as the first, but a worthy sequel that was really enjoyable. Tried to see The Peanut Butter Falcon but started too late unfortunately 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Just been to see Abominable, which was wonderful. There are no great surprises in it but there's a real tenderness in the characterisation and storytelling that are the hallmarks of most of the best animated films these days. Great voice work from Eddie Izzard as well, especially.

• Paid Members

Terminator Dark Fate

Whoever said it was like the Terminator version of the first new Star Wars film was spot on. Visually and story wise It hits every Terminator trope, some you probably don't even notice; truck chases, Terminators treading on things, visions of the future with endoskeletons strafing gunfire, Terminators imitating people, new scary updated Terminator tech etc.

Like the new Star Wars it also has a couple of beloved heroes from the original returning alongside a new pair who are essentially replaying roles from the first film. I liked Grace a lot but Sarah Connor made the film and I'm still not ready to see a Terminator film that doesn't have Arnie in it.

It's the 3rd best in the series but that's not exactly hard. It definitely had nothing new to say but if they are going to make another unnecessary sequel to my favourite films ever I'm glad at least it felt like a Terminator film.

They did John Connor dirty though, fucking hell.

• Paid Members

Tim Miller doesn't seem to step outside the box he created for himself with Deadpool though, does he? There was a lot in there - structurally, visually and even down to the camera work - that was ridiculously interchangeable between the two movies.

Equal parts magnifcent, equal parts Genisys level of gik, it was what it was. Enjoyable enough, but I think the soul of this franchise has been jockeyed up its bum and spat out it's own mouth.

I was put on the back foot - and almost annoyed for the remainder of the movie - at the start with the complete massacring of John Connor. Kind of Alien 3's the franchise...

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was put on the back foot - and almost annoyed for the remainder of the movie - at the start with the complete massacring of John Connor. Kind of Alien 3's the franchise...

Likewise man, I was also feeling my fury rise thinking "fuck this, how can they not learn from Alien 3". I had to make a conscious effort not to let it ruin the film for me and it still kind of did. My sister will be so gutted, T2 John Connor is her hero.

• Paid Members

Dolemite Is My Name is so good. So, SO good. I just smiled and laughed throughout. Eddie Murphy has rarely been better than this, and just goes to show you how talented, funny, charismatic and sweet the cunt is, when he has something he's passionate about. Just fucking magnificent.

I was going to watch Girl on the Third Floor tonight, but I've decided I'm watching this again. And probably will, for the next five or six nights.

• Paid Members

To echo Scott, Dolemite Is My Name is such a good time. It's got it's flaws but watching Eddie Murphy in this sort of form carries it. Some cast too.

Definitely the biggest surprise of the year because a Netflix-made Eddie Murphy movie, on paper, should be an absolute pigsty.