DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On 10/26/2019 at 8:22 AM, Mr_Danger said:

After seeing Netflix enabling Adam Sandler to make some of the biggest shite of his career, a tall task in itself, there was no way I was giving Dolemite a chance. Then my mate recommended it and fuck me, it's like Murphy has had amnesia since the 80's and now it's all come back to him. Great film. 

How hard do you think the director had to work to talk Eddie out of playing the role of his own mother?

I Am Dolemite is tremendous. Probably the only Netflix film I've actively enjoyed rather than just tolerated. 

• Paid Members

I decided against going to see Bruce last night, which I knew I'd regret. Pleased it's as good as I hoped.

Anyway, Monos is one of the best films this year. While the themes and story are horrific, it is juxtaposed by some absolutely beautiful imagery. Some really good performance too.

• Awards Moderator
14 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Something Bruce said in the Q&A afterwards really got to me. He was asked what he wanted from the film (or something like that), and he said in that unmistakable voice, for you to go to see it with your gal, and then, towards the end, you hold hands. God, Bruce, my heart near exploded. 

Ah, that one got me too! He didn’t seem entirely comfortable during the Q&A - he rarely does in that environment - but that last answer was the perfect way to see the evening off. And even though it’s been front and centre, when he rattled off what he’s done in the last five years with the book, the Broadway turn, the album and the film, I realised how utterly spoilt we’ve been. He’s so magnetic with everything he does; the bloke could read the chippy tea menu and I’d be engrossed.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed Dark Fate as well. Didn't think much of Natalia Reyes and if there's a sequel she will have to do a hell of a lot better, but Mackenzie Davis absolutely killed it. We've seen so many exciting female action stars made this decade that we've not built on, I hope her talents in this genre aren't wasted.

The plane scene was fabulous and I really appreciated how Linda Hamilton and Arnie weren't just written in for nostalgia pops. They both had strong reasons to be here. Really good stuff.

My Name Is Joe

Another that I can’t remember whether I’ve seen or not and I bloody loved it, despite not understanding a single word of what was said. Nice Germany tops too.

Summer Of Love

Not my choice, but better than the usual Amazon Original gumph and Joey King is fairly talented at what she does (The Kissing Booth was watchable) and there was real heart in the story, and the performances. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

12 minutes into Godzilla King of Monsters.

Already cringing at the human stuff.

No live commentary!

Actually thought it was a huge improvement on the previous one, but that's not saying much.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Did we ever hear what @John Matrix thought of that ridiculous new Rambo film?

Breaks my heart to confess this - it was due to be my first trip to the cinema since Creed II - an incredibly rare treat to myself as my social life has been rendered obsolete since boy #3 came along.

Booked tickets for a 10pm showing towards the end of its run.  Woke up that night on my kids bedroom floor, storybook still in hand, at 10:15.

Furious lads.  Furious.

56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No live commentary!

Actually thought it was a huge improvement on the previous one, but that's not saying much.

Just tapped out a little over an hour in. Couldn't get into it at all.

Should be right up my street but the whole movie just felt off to me, or maybe I'm just a miserable old prick now.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Breaks my heart to confess this - it was due to be my first trip to the cinema since Creed II - an incredibly rare treat to myself as my social life has been rendered obsolete since boy #3 came along.

Booked tickets for a 10pm showing towards the end of its run.  Woke up that night on my kids bedroom floor, storybook still in hand, at 10:15.

Furious lads.  Furious.

I say we all chip a pound in and get you the DVD.