DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

46 minutes ago, DEF said:

EDIT - Misread what you said because I'm an idiot.

I can't wait to watch Predator with my daughter, I'm thinking age 11 is about right. Die Hard I'm thinking age 10.

Eh? What has made you come to that conclusion?

I moved flats recently and went through a 8 day period without WiFi (which luckily coincided with the UKFF being down), so I raided local charity shops for DVDs as I don’t really have any anymore.

500 Days Of Summer

Jesus Christ. I was willing them both to die 10 minutes in, and had to hate watch it until the end to find out. The only time I’ve ever been angry at hearing a Pixies song. Oh god it’s so shit. The scene where he’s playing The Smiths on his office computer so she’ll notice as she walks past made me cringe so hard I hurt my fingers balling my hands into fists. Probably the worst film I’ve ever seen 

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

An absolute riot of a film, and one that I would’ve easily watched another half an hour of. Easy to see why Downey Jr got the Iron Man gig based on this.

American History X

I have seen this before but a long time ago. Still decent, although I’ve never bought into the “Ed Norton is the best actor of his generation” thing (I think it’s his voice that puts me off), but he is superb in this. The whole cast is to be fair.

Animal Factory

I didn’t mean to watch two Edward Furlong films in a row, but again this was good. Really easy watch and Willem Dafoe is mesmerising as a prison big shot and exudes quiet menace as always. He’s a scary dude. 

Also rewatched Juno, American Beauty and The Matrix again and they’re all still great. In fact, if I could erase my memory of one film and go back and watch it fresh again, it’d be The Matrix. Blew my tiny little 14 year old mind and it still does now. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Eh? What has made you come to that conclusion?

Just seems about right. I think I was about 10 when I saw it. Die Hard's not especially gory or violent or frightening. The action is pretty much on the level of a 12A these days. It's tense and suspenseful in a good way that I know would definitely hook my daughter. Do you disagree? I'm really interested on other peoples takes on went to show films to kids. I certainly want to protector her but at the same time I also want to blow her little mind with the greatest films ever made.

My 11 year old has been watching action films since he was 6 or 7, occasionally with the real time censorship of me sticking a hand over his eyes if a scene is particularly horrible (melting man in Robocop for instance). I was a bit younger than that when my Dad would let me watch stuff like Robocop, Aliens, Terminator etc and like you say, the violence and gore is of a similar calibre to a lot of modern 12a films. 

He watched Predator around age 7 and loved it to the point he got me to make him a screen accurate costume. He's seen all the classics and has an appreciation for the special effects and props which is partly the reason he never had any problems watching action movies from a young age as we went through all the science behind the stunts, blood squibs, that sort of thing. Plus he's seen me make a bunch of masks and props so he always understood it wasn't real. Basically clued him in that it was all fake and pretend, like wrestling. He thinks ED209 is crap, his only personality flaw.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

I watched Dirty Harry for the first time when I was 6 and I turned out.... absolutely terribly, actually.

It's a judgement call for any kid. My eldest seems to be like me in that they don't seem to find anything scary but hate jump scares, so I've shown them Halloween and The Fog and good stuff like that and they've been asking for scarier stuff. Violence and gore are easier to gauge, I find.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Violence in a 12a is essentially never gory, that's how it qualifies for a 12a.  You're not going to see gun play with serious claret consequences in a 12a.

Die Hard is nearer a 15 now, and I believe was classified as such during its cinema run last Christmas as I took my son who wasn't 18.  Robocop would still be an 18.

Edit: The film of Die Hard was reclassified as a 15 in 2013.

Yeah Die Hards been a 15 for ages. Robocop is much more graphic and is rightly still an 18 IMO.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Charlie's Angels (throw your hands up at me)

I'm not convinced that it deserves the utter panning that its received, but the last 20 minutes and credit scenes are better than the rest of the film and saved it for me.

Sounds like The Lone Ranger in your description. I will see it, but only after I’ve seen Knives Out and 21 Bridges first

I won't go into it too much as it has been discussed to death all over the place, but Joker hasn't left my mind since I watched it. In fact I've watched it 3 times now and it gets me every time. Phoenix's performance is absolutely phenomenal. Easily one of the best I've ever seen. Whatever you believe or don't believe about the film as a whole, his work will stick with me for a long time.

500 Days Of Summer

Jesus Christ. I was willing them both to die 10 minutes in, and had to hate watch it until the end to find out. The only time I’ve ever been angry at hearing a Pixies song. Oh god it’s so shit. The scene where he’s playing The Smiths on his office computer so she’ll notice as she walks past made me cringe so hard I hurt my fingers balling my hands into fists. Probably the worst film I’ve ever seen 

Isn't this....the point of the film? That he's so into himself he's viewing her through his own vision which is selfish and twattish? She's not even a real character, its his perception of her.

9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Isn't this....the point of the film? That he's so into himself he's viewing her through his own vision which is selfish and twattish? She's not even a real character, its his perception of her.

Perhaps, but I still wanted them both to meet a really grisly and bloody end, caricature or not. 

• Paid Members

I'm with Rashers, it's an appalling film with one of the worst endings in cinema history.

Knives Out is absolutely superb though. I'm not a whodunnit fan but Rian Johnson has done a brilliant job taking its best elements and subverting it's usual tropes. He's a master craftsman, the lad.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Frozen II

The songs didn't grab me in the same way as the first one, but overall I found it far more fun with plenty of gags for the adults in the audience.

I’m hoping a second watch will improve. I left not remembering a single song. Thought the story was very predictable. But going with the wife and daughter Saturday so as long as my daughter likes it, job done I spose 

The Irishman is long isn't it? It's wonderful to see all those heavyweights of yesteryear back together and the deageing works for the most part and isn't too distracting but bloody hell it's long.

There's a brilliant film in the middle about Frank Sheeran and Jimmy Hoffa but the rest just feels like lists of things that happened.