DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It was also perfect for Scorsese's reputation because there's no way that a studio would have turned a box office profit on a $159 million three and a half hour crime drama in this day and age. Unless he CGIed a cape on Jesse Plemons and we know Marty wouldn't do that.

It was a perfect partnership. It's a high profile release for Netflix that would actually pull in some subscriptions and they have another film planned for a couple of years' time.

Also watched The Irishman, and really just echo what people have said here.  The perfect thing for Netflix, as you can watch it in bits and take a break, as it is achingly long.  I'm a big Scorsese fan, and I think it's up there with some of his best.  That last half an hour in particular - some fearless stuff that you'd never see in a normal Hollywood film, very real and thought-provoking.  The CGI really is very good - good enough to not get in the way of the performances, which is a first for me.

It really feels like a swansong for a lot of those actors as well, that generation all got to work together one more time.

• Paid Members

Just got done watch 88 Films new Blu-ray of James Glickenhaus's The Protector and Jackie Chan's The Protector. I say that because The Protector is Jackie's final attempt to break through in the US of the 80's.

James Glickenhaus's The Protector is a generic unremarkable but mildly entertaining American action film from the 80's.

Jackie Chan unhappy with the final film completely re-edited the American version and add several scenes including new fights.

So what you get is effectively two different films. The first is a fine enough 80s action film. I can't say that Jackie's version is up there with Police Story but it's absolutely a much more frenetic and tight, kick ass Jackie Chan style action film. 

There's one scene that is overly edited but otherwise Jackie snips all the fat and it's much the better for it.

There's a lengthy interview with Glickenhaus where he seems to have a very high opinion of himself and his abilities aling with a very dismissive stance on Jackie as anything but a comedian.

He makes some good points on Jackie staging stunts that could hurt people but also clearly has no respect for him as an action star or film maker. Considering how much better the HK Cut is IMO there definitely seems to be some sour grapes.

There's also a much more level lengthy interview with the cinematographer.

Oh yeah also Big John Studd has a cameo.

Unfortunately whilst the Blu-ray contains both versions only the US cut has had the 2k restoration treatment (which looks spectacular) and the only available version of the HK Cut is a old standard definition master used for DVD which has been upscaled.

If you are into JC or alternative versions of films I highly recommend watching them both. US version first of course.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Knives Out is fantastic. The cast is something special and everyone puts a shift in, which leads to one of the more charming world's created in film this year. I was worried Craig's southern patter would sink it, early doors, but this may very well be his finest hour (x2).

I thought the pacing and the timing of the jokes were pretty masterful.

Plus, Michael Shannon.

It was directed by Rian Johnson, however. 1*

Parasite. Just see it. No trailers, no reviews just my fine word of mouth and no plot points at all. 

Lion King. Pointless remake but the kids loved it so it serves the exact same purpose as the original. I don't really getbthe criticism of it looking weird having photo realistic animals singing and dancing. The fella doing his best Nathan Lane does it very well.

Animal Kingdom. I remember this being recommended and thinking how shit it was when I checked it out. Couple of years later I remember it being recommended and thinking it was an excellent grim crime drama. Turns out one was a shitty TV show and the other an Australian film with a cracking cast.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

It was directed by Rian Johnson, however. 1*

Thought it was pretty funny how loads of Last Jedi crybabies bombarded IMDb with 0 / 10 votes for Knives Out but unfortunately for them it's so good that it's now rating at 8.1 currently.

30 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Animal Kingdom. I remember this being recommended and thinking how shit it was when I checked it out. Couple of years later I remember it being recommended and thinking it was an excellent grim crime drama. Turns out one was a shitty TV show and the other an Australian film with a cracking cast.

Saw this film back in the summer and it's excellent. Joel Edgerton's great, I hope he sits out Bright 2.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Thought it was pretty funny how loads of Last Jedi crybabies bombarded IMDb with 0 / 10 votes for Knives Out but unfortunately for them it's so good that it's now rating at 8.1 currently.

That's tremendous. I was a big fan of his response to criticism of diversity in films (in particular, Disney Star Wars), the other week. 

• Paid Members

I watched Heist the other night. The 2015 one with Robert De Niro playing a vaping money launderer, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Batista hijacking a bus. It was the same bloke who director Final Score earlier this year, which makes sense as this was also both surreal and stupid but strangely enjoyable in equal measures.

Spoiler for Final Score:-

Doesn't feature anything as bizarre as Tony Cottee getting shot though.

Having seen The Irishman in the cinema, I watched it yesterday at home and It was a different experience for sure but worked very well.

The thing that got me was just the overriding sense of melancholy in the film. Which is added to by the ages of the main three (and Keitel) in the film. It was fantastic to see Pacino back to his blazing best. Pesci is wonderful as ever in a very different roles and DeNiro is superb in a really understated and sad performance. He shows such little emotion at times, but also shows everything.

Great film, and I'm glad Netflix is around to give Martin Scorsese the money to do films like that