DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Now I'm feeling the urge to dig out the Dirty Harry DVD set.

Don't bother with The Enforcer or Sudden Impact and save youself some time.

• Paid Members

Hustlers

A bit disappointing, really. Would probably have worked better as a comedy but Jennifer Lopez really is a great actress who has always deserved roles as good as this.

12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Get Santa

Well, that was a lot fucking better, wasn't it? Last day of work for the year, kicked off the festive season with an actually good Christmas film that I've never seen before! Recommended. Jim Broadbent was great.

This is a staple in our house but seems to be under the radar for a lot of folk but it's great fun. Broadbent is on top form and some good appearances by Stephen Graham and Warwick Davis. Even Raph Spall isn't hateable in it.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Hustlers

A bit disappointing, really. Would probably have worked better as a comedy but Jennifer Lopez really is a great actress who has always deserved roles as good as this.

Have to admit it took me a while to come round to this view, but then I saw Out Of Sight. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Have to admit it took me a while to come round to this view, but then I saw Out Of Sight. 

I finally watched that after being impressed with her in Hustlers. Both really good - Hustlers not quite top level stuff, but not far below.

• Paid Members

She's also superb in Money Train.

Uncut Gems

Honestly, I hated the Safdies' Good Time so I had no expectation for this at all but it's absolutely superb. Some really unexpected use of real life characters and the pacing of it is frantic and anxiety inducing the whole way through. Keeps you guessing, the ending is brilliant, and Sandler does a fantastic cross between Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. One of the best of the year.

I'm really looking forward to it. I listened to the Safdie's on the Rewatchables Happy Gilmore podcast last week in preparation. Sandler is fantastic when he wants to be, he's definitely had the career he wanted but it's a shame he hasn't thrown out a few more Punch Drunk Love's.

• Paid Members

Yeah, and unlike his other 'serious' roles, there's not really much comedy in this for him to lean back on. There's the odd laugh here and there but it really does rely on him being dramatically on song.

Izzy Gets The Fuck Across Town

A quirky little comedy that really breezes past and features Mackenzie Davis (alerting @Devon Malcolm) and Alia Shawkat (alerting all cousin lovers)

The Holiday

I thought after 10 minutes this would be awful, and whilst it’s categorically not a good film, I didn’t mind it so much, mainly because of Kate Winslet. Jack Black as a leading man in a romance is still really, really funny.

Surviving Christmas

One of the worst films I’ve ever seen. What a waste of a cast. 90 minutes of Affleck doing that weird teeth together grin he did before he realised he can actually act.