DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Breakdown is on Netflix and looks just like my sort of movie, so thanks for the recommendation.

I finally caught Dunkirk over Christmas.  I'd been apprehensive about watching it because Nolan films annoy the fuck out of me, but I thought he can't really mess up a war movie, can he?

Yes, yes he can.  Let's throw out 100 years of understanding of how montage and continuity editing work, and just chop the shit out of the narrative structure of the movie, rendering it confusing and also making sure the viewer never gets to engage properly with the characters, thus reducing the sense of investment in their fates and also any sense of building towards a climax.  Try to counter these structural issues by draping continuous music across the length of the film to hammer home at every moment what the viewer should be feeling.

It's annoying because he's got a good eye and can deliver some lovely set pieces.  But you could take this film, re-edit it into a more conventional, less look-how-clever-I-am sequence, drop about half the score, and have something really special.

• Paid Members

I thought Dunkirk was far and away his best film. I didn't find it at all confusing and I thought the characters were juggled superbly in a thankfully short running time. It's a shame that his new one seemed to be headed back to his usual ludicrous shite.

The Ringer did a cool little 3 part pod with him where he discusses 5 films from his playlist at his cinema a while back too.

With regards to Nolan I'm quite interested in Tenet especially with the rumoured link to another film it's meant to have. I don't especially love Nolan films but they always look fantastic and sound great. I liked the "Clever films for stupid people" comment someone made on here and it's pretty apt. I loved The Prestige for the most part and Batman's apart I'll always have time for one of his films even if I don't love them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

With regards to Nolan I'm quite interested in Tenet especially with the rumoured link to another film it's meant to have. 

I didn't know he was doing a Shyamalan with this as well, that makes me even less interested in it.

I don’t recall being confused by Dunkirk, but it was definitely unengaging and unmemorable. All the characters were dull blank canvases. As recent WW2 movies go, it is utter shite compared to brilliance like Jojo Rabbit and Overlord.

Speaking of Overlord, I watched Kurt Russell Jr in Ingrid Goes West last night. Very well observed performances, particularly from Olsen. Script could’ve been better, but I really enjoyed it overall.

The Farewell

An absolutely beautiful film, so charming and full of warmth. Awkwafina should’ve been nominated for everything (yes I know awards mean nothing)

Queen & Slim

Is Daniel Kaluuya the most watchable actor that isn’t named Adam Driver? I think he might be. Again, an absolute joy and I can’t wait to read some interesting reactions to this.

Jojo Rabbit

Incredibly disappointing. Twee, over sentimental bollocks that is tonally all over the place. Stephen Merchant is the best thing about it. The girl I saw it with loved it. I don’t think I’ll see her again.