DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched Marriage Story tonight. Yet another feather in the cap for Adam Driver who is surely one of the best actors working just now. I thought it was a lovely film that had some gentle humour and some really heart-wrenching moments.

When he got up to sing in the bar, I was a bit like "urgh, what's going on here?" By the end, my eyes were brimming. A beautiful moment out of absolutely nowhere.

Highly recommended!

• Paid Members

Jumanji: The Next Level was just as enjoyable as the previous one and I hope it's another massive hit. On a sidenote, I'm going to have to stop watching stuff with Karen Gillan in because she's just ridiculous.

• Paid Members

Jumanji the next level felt like a cheap cash grab. Too similar to the original until Awkwafina shows up and steals the film. It’s worth a watch at home, but don’t rush to the cinema unless you have some kind of Cinema Card as it’s not worth a regular ticket price.

• Awards Moderator

Saw Jumanji: Next Level tonight. Just as much fun as the first, although I maybe had a few more quibbles with this one, but...

The last five minutes gave me a genuine thrill. Bebe Neuwirth showing up was lovely - and I thought that’d be it for subtle nods to the Robin Williams film. But that final scene! It made me genuinely really, really excited for what they might do in a third one. The idea of Jumanji invading the real world feels earned after these two films, rather than being a retread of the 90s one. And the idea of Martha, Spencer etc meeting the ‘real’ versions of Ruby Roundhouse, Bravestone etc - I can’t wait!

• Paid Members

I thought Awkwafina was a great addition but that they could have done a bit more with her. Thoroughly enjoyed her in the other several thousand films she's been in the last couple of years too. Especially The Farewell, which was a lovely film.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Saw Jumanji: Next Level tonight. Just as much fun as the first, although I maybe had a few more quibbles with this one, but...

Reveal hidden contents

The last five minutes gave me a genuine thrill. Bebe Neuwirth showing up was lovely - and I thought that’d be it for subtle nods to the Robin Williams film. But that final scene! It made me genuinely really, really excited for what they might do in a third one. The idea of Jumanji invading the real world feels earned after these two films, rather than being a retread of the 90s one. And the idea of Martha, Spencer etc meeting the ‘real’ versions of Ruby Roundhouse, Bravestone etc - I can’t wait!

I’ll agree with you there. Similar to that Jurassic World sequel, I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first, but

It set up a third film well, and I was more excited for that then what I had just watched. Was she playing the same character? I couldn’t remember her name from that original film. But I was well pleased to see her appear as well

• Paid Members

The Disco Godfather

This was bloody extraordinary. I have a semi-regular "Bad Movie Night" at a mate's place, but this was our first foray into blaxploitation. I was told we'd be watching The Human Tornado, so was not prepared for this. It's Rudy Ray Moore playing a character that's Not Quite Dolemite, trying to tackle a drug trafficking ring in LA (though at various times he refers to it being a "small town"). The combat is janky, the hallucination sequences low-budget but insane, the dialogue is often completely bonkers, and at one point a hitman character is introduced who dresses as a cowboy for no discernible reason. The final ten minutes are an absolute trip. When people talk about movies being "so bad they're good", it's absolutely this sort of thing they're talking about.

Dolemite Is My Name

Then, obviously, I had to go and watch this. It's brilliant. I wouldn't have changed a thing. Stellar cast, superbly acted. With the exception of Chris Rock's role, I don't think there was a single point where I found myself focusing too much on the actor behind the character - Eddie Murphy was Rudy Ray Moore, and given what a powerful personality Murphy is in the majority of his films, to see him completely disappear into a role like this was so impressive. Wesley Snipes is a delight throughout as well. I would say the only thing that comes close to a criticism is that it never really feels like Moore is up against adversity - we're constantly told that he is, but then every scheme pays off better than expected in every single instance. But then the film is joyous for it, and there's more than enough "struggling artist" stories out there anyway.

• Paid Members

We’ve re-watched the Star Wars episodes one the run up to The Rise of Skywalker.

Episode 1 - Other then the pod race, the final battle and that piece of music, it’s really boring 

Episode 2 - Awful acting, clunky script, and clear that George Lucas is like Vince Russo and needs someone to be his filter

Episode 3 - a few good scenes, an improvement on 2, but overall it’s not great

Episode 4 - Still a really fun romp

Episode 5 - Clearly the best all rounder 

Episode 6 - Cheesy but the one I have most fun with

Episode 7 - Good, but the buzz of re-watching does diminish my enjoyment

Episode 8 - Best visually, best humour, especially the iron. Rian Johnson did a great job. Probably top 3 of the whole lot. Better on rewatches 

• Paid Members

6 Underground was definitely a Michael Bay film, so whatever your stance on him you need to watch or not watch it accordingly. The three main action set pieces in this are incredible, especially the car chase. Superb action film.