DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Teen Wolf

Far shitter than I remember aside from Stiles' t-shirts.

Flight of the Navigator

Should have spent more time on the flying saucer because the build-up is too long. Loads of fun when it gets there though.

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Teen Wolf

Far shitter than I remember aside from Stiles' t-shirts.

Flight of the Navigator

Should have spent more time on the flying saucer because the build-up is too long. Loads of fun when it gets there though.

Teen Wolf is worth it for the brilliant soundtrack alone. And the extra who gets his todger out in the crowd during the final basketball scene.

I started watching The Witcher the other night before quickly realizing the reason I was watching The Witcher was because I had the telly to myself then had a Cavil sized reminder that I should take that opportunity to watch the latest Mission Impossible. 

What a man he is. What a 'tache. The film is great and all but Cavil punching stuff and breaking shit was great. That guy deserves a proper franchise built around him although he probably works best in this kind of role. No idea if that franchise is The Witcher though.

• Paid Members

Playing With Fire

Big Match John does it again. He really does have such great comedy timing. Quality cast in this beyond him and this was a lot funnier than I expected. 

Alive

Never seen it before. Not likely to again. A pretty poor performance overall. They all kind of acted as if the situation was some sort of inconvenience. Other than the initial crash, I never felt as though they were in any real danger. 

Also, if they went to the effort of portraying Uruguayans and kept the South American names, at least make a fucking effort with the accents. 

• Moderators

A Simple Favour. I know it's hardly an unpopular opinion on here but Anna Kendrick is great, isn't she?

I didn't know anything about it going in and I was really pleasantly surprised by this. I thought it would pass the time but it was better than I thought it would.

A fun little murder mystery.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Steve Justice said:

Also, if they went to the effort of portraying Uruguayans and kept the South American names, at least make a fucking effort with the accents. 

I can't imagine getting Ethan Hawke to do a shitty Latino accent would have made that film any better.

50 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I can't imagine getting Ethan Hawke to do a shitty Latino accent would have made that film any better.

This is true.

If only there were Latino actors that could have been cast instead. I'd loved to have seen Banderas, Trejo and Cheech (basically the cast of Desperado) in that line up. At least with Trejo they would have had a machete to chop the meat up with. 

2 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Nah, because then I'd be wondering why they aren't speaking Spanish.

Fun fact about this film, years back I thought this film was called Frozen and was bewildered why the women in the office were all saying how their daughters and nieces all loved it.  

As is tradition, we watched a Die Hard movie on Christmas - this year Die Hard 4.  

I remember this getting not great reviews when it came out, and I didn't think it was brilliant when I first watched it, but actually it was great fun - a really old-fashioned stunt movie with some good set pieces, some snappy dialogue and well paced.  Definitely felt like a proper Die Hard film.  Might actually be better than Die Hard 3, which last time I saw it hadn't aged so well.

Watched Fighting With My Family on Netflix on Christmas night, a lot of it was hokey bullshit about Paige's time in NXT (ignoring the fact she was NXT Women's champ at the time she debuted and Rock ringing Ricky to tell the family she was going to be showing up at Raw to win the title being the two biggest culprits)  and they kind of forced Rock a lot in the movie but it was very enjoyable, liked the clips from the actual documentary in the credits that matched bits in the film

Not sure who were meant to be represented by the no marks at the tryouts and in the PC, I did spot the real Dave Mastiff and I'm guessing the guy with long hair and fur vest next to 'Paige' was Pete Dunne, I'm also guessing 1-2 of the girls in the shared house were meant to be similar to Charlotte and/or Summer Rae. Also recognised Roy Knight as the guy 'Zak' faced in the cage match