DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

You know Jojo Rabbit is essentially a film based on a child’s experience in WW2. That’s why it’s got some silly shit right? 1 trick pony? I’ve yet to see Boy, but seen everything else, and other then the fact they all have comedic moments, I don’t agree with him being a 1 trick pony

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You know Jojo Rabbit is essentially a film based on a child’s experience in WW2. That’s why it’s got some silly shit right? 

Settle down Soapo, I wasn't asking for it to be Shoah or owt.

Burning

It’s a Korean film I added to my DVD collection this afternoon so I decided to watch it as soon as I got home, weird to see Steven Yeun(Walking Dead) play such a mysterious character throughout, it’s a slow burner but picks up as soon as he appears and just has you wondering up until the end as well as afterwards.

17 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Burning

It’s a Korean film I added to my DVD collection this afternoon so I decided to watch it as soon as I got home, weird to see Steven Yeun(Walking Dead) play such a mysterious character throughout, it’s a slow burner but picks up as soon as he appears and just has you wondering up until the end as well as afterwards.

It’s on Sky Movies tonight, been added to the NowTV library. 

• Awards Moderator

Thunder Road was added to Netflix recently. We watched it tonight - what a brilliantly written and performed film with Jim Cummings (who, as well as writing and acting, directed the thing!) as a man on the edge of a breakdown trying his best to get through it. Full, complex characters that feel so complete and really make you care about them. All recommendations to Thunder Road.

• Paid Members

The Informer

Quite enjoyed this. I don't think much of Joel Kinnaman as a lead and this would have benefitted from someone with actual charisma in the lead, plus Ana de Armas doesn't get much to do. But it's second half is a really good prison thriller with a quality ending. Worth tracking down, wish I'd gone to see it at the cinema.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

It's amazing that Joel Kinnaman is so bland he can still come off as dry in a film with Clive Owen in it.

Yeah, he made Owen look animated in this. Still enjoyed it though.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, The British Bushwacker said:

I’ve just rewatched Scarface for the first time

since my teens and it’s shit, isn’t it? 

It's not that great, is it. Doesn't even feel like a De Palma film, which always disappointed me. The original is fabulous though.

• Paid Members

De Palma's Scarface is a exploitation film that some how managed to be perceived as classic drama. As long as you're into that kind of thing it's pretty bloody brilliant but it's definitely an acquired taste.