DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

What’s the difference between the Director’s Cut and the Theatrical Cut of Robocop?

I’m usually pretty sceptical about Director’s Cuts, Extended Editions etc as they rarely do much/add anything different from the Theatrical. I was umming and ahhing about buying the Arrow Video release that’s just come out, but the version with the TC aswell as the Director’s Cut was £10 more than the one with just the DC, which I’ve never seen. I like the TC, but if the DC is more or less the same then I might aswell get that one.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What’s the difference between the Director’s Cut and the Theatrical Cut of Robocop?

I’m usually pretty sceptical about Director’s Cuts, Extended Editions etc as they rarely do much/add anything different from the Theatrical. I was umming and ahhing about buying the Arrow Video release that’s just come out, but the version with the TC aswell as the Director’s Cut was £10 more than the one with just the DC, which I’ve never seen. I like the TC, but if the DC is more or less the same then I might aswell get that one.

It's been a while but the DC is much more gory from memory.

I watched The Godfather for the first time ever last night. After reading and loving the book a couple of months ago, I went and bought the Coppola Restoration Blu Ray box set so I could finally get round to watching it.

I really enjoyed it although I found the first act to be really rushed. I know with it being a three hour movie they couldn't have done much about it but I prefered the slower start of the book with more backstory. Mainly for...

the whole Luca Brasi bit. In the book there's a lot more backstory and just general description and storyline about him so when he gets killed it's a much bigger deal as you're more invested in him. In the movie, his death is only the second time you see him.

Pacino was fucking brilliant in it though. Can't wait for number two.

Also, nowhere near as many penis descriptions or racial slurs as in the book.

Edited by wordsfromlee

8 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The Director's Cut is considerably better in my opinion.  Without going into a huge diatribe about it, as it's a favourite topic of mine, but a lot of the satire and humour in Robocop comes from the ridiculously over the top violence.  Ironically, by forcing the director to make some shots shorter, they made them more disturbing and less comical.  So the tone of the film works better in the DC.

I think there are also a few more of those fantastic new reports and adverts in that got cut from the theatrical release.  All told, you should definitely plump for the DC.

• Moderators

I was in a hurry to find something to watch last night because I just wanted to stick something in before my food got cold. We thought we'd watch something Christmassy, so browsed to the Christmas Comedies section in Netflix, and picked something that had an actor we recognised. 

Fuck me, Nativity is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's just so absolutely soulless and terribly written and really poorly directed / edited.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I was in a hurry to find something to watch last night because I just wanted to stick something in before my food got cold. We thought we'd watch something Christmassy, so browsed to the Christmas Comedies section in Netflix, and picked something that had an actor we recognised. 

Fuck me, Nativity is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's just so absolutely soulless and terribly written and really poorly directed / edited.

Does that mean your not going to watch the rest of the Nativity Cinematic Universe (NCU)? I've yet to sit through one, but I have seen the posters and trailers and each sequel gets a lower and lower set of stars in them

You're all terrible parents.  You should be raising your kids on a diet of Tarkovsky, Kurosawa and Lean.  They should have to watch an episode of Scenes From a Marriage when they get home from school every day.  For a Sunday afternoon entertainment they can tuck into any of Kieslowski's Three Colours. 

I tried with the first one and she sat through Paper Moon and Breakfast at Tiffany's to be fair but you can't force the little fucks to like the stuff you do. It's a miracle if any of the others sit through anything longer than your standard Youtube vlog. I tried them on Christmas Vacation but it went straight over their heads and they probably just wondered why their dad thought everything the sleazy dad who acts like Will Ferrell did was hilarious.

6 Underground was classic Bay. Some bits 4 star, some bits 3 star and a lot of bits 2 star. My favourite bit was when one of the poor blokes fleeing a chemical attack in his fictional country was wearing a Sprite t-shirt. Too long also.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I tried with the first one and she sat through Paper Moon and Breakfast at Tiffany's to be fair but you can't force the little fucks to like the stuff you do. It's a miracle if any of the others sit through anything longer than your standard Youtube vlog. I tried them on Christmas Vacation but it went straight over their heads and they probably just wondered why their dad thought everything the sleazy dad who acts like Will Ferrell did was hilarious.

6 Underground was classic Bay. Some bits 4 star, some bits 3 star and a lot of bits 2 star. My favourite bit was when one of the poor blokes fleeing a chemical attack in his fictional country was wearing a Sprite t-shirt. Too long also.

The film or the T-Shirt?

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I was born between 81 and 96 and I wouldn’t inflict this shit on my brood

I mean, it's only one of the greatest films of the 1970s but you do YOU.

Now I'm feeling the urge to dig out the Dirty Harry DVD set.

Back on what we watched as kids.

I have "fond" memories of the likes of Evil Dead and Superstitions traumatising me. Evil Dead 2 is still the best Evil Dead.

Wasn't Superstitions released multiple times under different names? Sure there was multiple versions cut to varying degrees.

Haven't seen that one in decades though and I'm betting it's actually pretty shit in reality.