DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Irishman was fucking brilliant. I do wish all this Marvel discussion nonsense hadn't come up, as it's created some right daft comparisons. Endgame absolutely destroyed me emotionally but that was a franchise I've followed for years (and even longer as a kid with the comics) and it was a perfect cinematic experience. The Irishman is a quality piece of film all round and completely different on every level. If anything, both are a great reminder of how diverse cinema can be.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The Irishman was fucking brilliant. I do wish all this Marvel discussion nonsense hadn't come up, as it's created some right daft comparisons. Endgame absolutely destroyed me emotionally but that was a franchise I've followed for years (and even longer as a kid with the comics) and it was a perfect cinematic experience. The Irishman is a quality piece of film all round and completely different on every level. If anything, both are a great reminder of how diverse cinema can be.

Not had a chance to see The Irishman yet (don't seem to have 3 1/2 kid free hours to watch it), but I echo what you say about Endgame and it being a perfect cinematic experience. But I can't compare it to something like, say Knives Out. Which is going to be fighting at the top of my end of year list. You can enjoy films on different levels and for completely different reasons and I don't think the comparisons are fair. It's not like supporting a football team, you can enjoy all types of films from art house to comic book in my opinion and they are all pieces of art for different reasons.

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's not like supporting a football team, you can enjoy all types of films from art house to comic book in my opinion and they are all pieces of art for different reasons.

Ā 

But you can support a football team, and still enjoy watching other teams play :)

• Awards Moderator

Empire are doing another of their readers' polls (following on from that 'one film per year for the last 30 years' one) - this one isĀ your top 20 films of the 21st century so far.

I managed to come up with a list that covers a lot of bases, and while I'm not that bothered to see the results, it was a fun exercise figuring out what mine would be.

The Irishman

It was good and I enjoyed it but...

I feel like it could have been an amazing 3 - 6 part series, with all the little details, the he's and the whose in it can feel a bit much in one sitting. (Especially at 3 in the morning.) Tremendous acting from both Peggy's and Pachino in particular. I selfishly wish Pesci never semi/self-retired because there's an abundance of films he would make better instantly.

On a final note they could have cut a good twenty minutes out of this by removing most of the eating scenes. I nearly put my foot through the TV when Pachino was clanking his fucking ice cream spoon every other scene. (How does @Scott Malbranque cope with it?)Ā 

Marriage Story

I really liked it, but having gone through something fairly similar it was a fairly hard watch. Recommend

Ronin

Ā First rewatch for about 10 years and I still really enjoyed it apart from Sean Bean stinking the joint up ā€œFOOKING HAVE SOMEā€ indeed. Natasha McElhone was/is so bloody lovely. Jean Reno too.

Hustlers. Wolf of Wall Street meets The Big Short meets Showgirls (no Jessie nips tho). Didn't live up to the five star review IĀ read in Empire unfortunately. It was decent but felt like they were trying to punch at a higher weight than they delivered.

Constance Wu is pretty great but it kind of suffers from the characters being dirt bags, less dirt baggy than Di Caprio and chums but I felt little empathy for them which was at odds with them being struggling single mums etc.