DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I thought The Irishman was tremendous! It brilliantly wrote, the acting was great and some of the direction and cinematography was amazing. I've always been a huge fan of Scorses, but when I saw the running time I was worried it would be a slog. But no, I was hooked from the first minute to the last and I'm sure it will become a film I watch fairly regular.

Only thing I didn't like was the de-aging stuff. It looked great, but I'm convinced that as long as your brain knows that someone has been de-aged or recreated in CGI then it makes the effects stand out like a sore thumb. Well, it does to me anyway...

I quite enjoyed Knives Out despite it getting a bit boring in the middle and some awful voice over dubs. 
There was some very obvious foreshadowing early on and some ridiculously unbelievable plot devices but it looked brilliant with some lovely shots and a few great jokes thrown in too. 

Daniel Craig should bin off Bond and reboot Columbo. 

53 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Daniel Craig should bin off Bond and reboot Columbo. 

Fuck that, Craig will want to include some emo backstory as to how he lost his eye in the accident that killed his dad, it's then revealed that his dad died wearing a certain raincoat.

• Paid Members

There's a complete disconnect with the comic timing and sense of humour he shows in Knives Out and Logan Lucky against his almost total refusal to put the odd joke in his Bond films.

• Paid Members

There's really nothing in Frozen 2 to have justified the number of grown adults unaccompanied by kids in the screening I was just in. Disney just never bothered to get better, did it.

• Paid Members

I watched a film called Avengement recently, and it was way better than it had any right to be. Its essentially the same film you always see. Scott Adkins is the lead, and he's got a great screen presence. He starts off as a fairly clean martial artists and shit happens and he ends up in the most cockney of prisons on earth, leading him to turn mental and get revenge on everyone who wronged him. Some may even say this was ... avengement.

Craig Fairbrass is in it saying "fakin'" and "kant" a lot. But Adkins is the star of the show. A pleasent surprise.

• Paid Members

Another massive thumbs up for The Irishman from me. They lost me slightly briefly in the second hour when it didn't seem as focused but it was just setting the table and once it settled down again it was tremendous. Usually Marty's films seem a little long to me but I thought this was actually really well paced.

The CG stuff was pretty good. It's actually perfect for Netflix as I bet on a smaller screen the deageing stuff in the close ups wouldn't give off an uncanny valley thing. I watched it on my projector and with the exception of some lingering close ups I didn't notice it much.

Edited by DEF