DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

@Devon Malcolm How was it price wise? Certainly looks good!

£10.80, so a bit pricey, but you do get couches instead of seats and it's really lovely inside. Would definitely go back.

• Paid Members

Everyman Cinemas are awesome. They have proper bars, couches as Dev says, and at the Screen On The Green Everyman in Angel, you can order food to your seat, plus they also have a mini screening room you can hire out for private viewings - they've got a huge catalogue of shows you can pick.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

£10.80, so a bit pricey, but you do get couches instead of seats and it's really lovely inside. Would definitely go back.

They're £15 in London, which I've discovered is pretty much my definite cut-off point. Everyman is great, especially for a date night, but most of the time, my requirements are more along the lines of people keeping quiet and not moving about much, so I can watch the movie in peace. 

• Paid Members

I’m just about to watch Dora and the Lost City of Gold. This better be good. 

Sold 7. Nice kid friendly Indiana Jones alike with some nice comedy moments. Plus points for a song from 1/2 of Flight Of The Concords and The Cure. I’m glad James Bobin has finally had a decent follow up film on his resume. Because Muppets Most Wanted & Alice through the looking glass are woeful.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Ingrid Goes West - Some really good bits in this, I thought when it was funny it really was funny but there is a huge undercurrent of sadness throughout.  And O'Shea Jackson Jr is an absolute delight.  4 likes out of 5 from nearly 10k Kool Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a long haul flight a couple of weeks ago with really varied on demand libraries so managed to get through a few films each way and then caught up on some bits I'd missed once I got home. Listed in order of viewing.

Predator. What better way to kick off a ten hour flight than watching this classic with my 11 year old son. What to say that hasn't already been said a million times. The cast, the score, the monster, the script. Just perfect.

The Lego Movie. We fancied a light follow up to Predator and whilst this is the polar opposite it's an equally brilliant film. Plenty for both kids and adults to enjoy.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Maybe it's because we were four hours in to the flight by this point but I just found this tedious. I love Tarrantino (bar Hateful Eight) but this just felt a slog. Yes it's filmed well, yes DiCaprio and Pitt are great actors, yes the dialogue is good but it just felt like hard work.

Gone Girl. Was getting fed up by this point so watched this over someones shoulder three rows down and it still gave me palpitations. Poor Neil Patrick Harris.

Bruce Almighty. Was channel hopping on holiday and this was on and I had a couple of hours to kill having not seen it in years. A lot better than I remember it being, some genuinely funny moments, Carrey being himself, Steve Carrell being a brilliant twat and a not-terrible-for-once performance from Jennifer Anniston.

A Star Is Born. Another one that was randomly on US telly early in the morning. I've put off watching it because I assumed it would be shit but found myself pleasantly surprised, particularly with Lady Gaga's performance. Would watch again.

The Full Monty. First film on the flight back home and still gets some belly laughs. Brilliant score too. Couple of awkward moments during the stripping scenes where I remembered I was on a plane and my screen was in full view. Nothing like an hour and half of blokes in their kecks to set your stall out with the other passengers. The final scene in the working mens club is marvellous so no shame.

IT. I was nodding off at this point and wasn't going to put anything on but the kids sat behind me started acting up so I put this on with the hope they would watch over my shoulder and and give their parents something to deal with at a later time. Then I fell asleep. My Mrs was across the aisle watching Red Sparrow at the time so anybody sat behind us had the choice of murderous clown demon or Jennifer Lawrence getting raped. Good old British Airways and their film selection.

Good Boys. First film when we arrived home and was in tears laughing at this in places. Great performances by all the kids and about as good a comedy as I've watched in years. Superbad with tweens, but funnier.

Joker. Masterpiece isn't a word I use often but this is such a stunning film. I've spoken to so many people who went to see it thinking it was going to be full of Batman and hated it as a result. This is such an anti-comic book movie to the point where if it wasn't the Joker but someone else just losing their mind it would still be great.

Frozen 2. I fell asleep. One of the songs is good.

Gemini Man. What a load of old shite.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

EDIT - Misread what you said because I'm an idiot.

I can't wait to watch Predator with my daughter, I'm thinking age 11 is about right. Die Hard I'm thinking age 10.

Edited by DEF