DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

I've never watched many of those old Blaxploitation films, but I probably should at some point as I listen to the soundtracks all the time. But will definitely be watching this new flick before any of that lot. Sounds great. Excited to see Eddie on form - didn't think I'd ever see him in something new that was good ever again tbh.

Finally got a chance to watch my import DVD of Pump Up The Volume - Christian Slater movie from 1990.

Fond memories of watching this when I was a teenager, and it actually didn't disappoint.  Funny and thought provoking and a great sound track.  Christian Slater is always cool, isn't he?  Just effortless.

• Paid Members

Watched Terminator Dark Fate tonight. It was alright. Not a patch on the first two, but better than abject shite that the others were.

The opening scene killed my interest to be honest. I'd have been up for a full 2 hours of superimposed younger versions of the cast. Poor Ed Furlong. He was like Bret Hart in that Nexus vs Team Cena match at SummerSlam 2010. They had to get him out of there quick.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

After seeing Netflix enabling Adam Sandler to make some of the biggest shite of his career, a tall task in itself, there was no way I was giving Dolemite a chance. Then my mate recommended it and fuck me, it's like Murphy has had amnesia since the 80's and now it's all come back to him. Great film. 

How hard do you think the director had to work to talk Eddie out of playing the role of his own mother?

• Paid Members

Delighted to report that One Cut of the Dead is every bit as good as has been reported everywhere. It's good to see quite a few filmmakers doing something different with zombie films lately but this is definitely the most original, and probably the best. That opening scene is amazing stuff.

In Fabric is also brilliant. Peter Strickland can't be far off being our best living filmmaker. Rosie Fox from The Bill, Christine from 2 Point 4 Children and Barry Adamson in a horror comedy about a haunted dress. He really is a genius.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

In Fabric is also brilliant. Peter Strickland can't be far off being our best living filmmaker. Rosie Fox from The Bill, Christine from 2 Point 4 Children and Barry Adamson in a horror comedy about a haunted dress. He really is a genius.

Thanks for recommending this, it'd completely passed me by, and is incredible.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Thanks for recommending this, it'd completely passed me by, and is incredible.

Glad you liked it! Have you seen Strickland's other films? They're all excellent, especially Berberian Sound Studio.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Glad you liked it! Have you seen Strickland's other films? They're all excellent, especially Berberian Sound Studio.

I loved Berberian Sound Studio, but I've not seen The Duke of Burgandy.

Incidentally, as to the rest of your post, I also loved One Cut of the Dead. I put it off for ages, because I was thinking, despite the raves, what the fuck else is there to do with a zombie film? But they really did find something else. Such a great concept, and pulled off beautifully.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I loved Berberian Sound Studio, but I've not seen The Duke of Burgandy.

Incidentally, as to the rest of your post, I also loved One Cut of the Dead. I put it off for ages, because I was thinking, despite the raves, what the fuck else is there to do with a zombie film? But they really did find something else. Such a great concept, and pulled off beautifully.

The Duke of Burgundy is great too, as is Katalin Varga. Can't wait to see what he does next.

I think the key to why One Cut of the Dead works so well is that:-

it's not actually a zombie film

There have been a few much better efforts the last few years. The Night Eats the World, Warm Bodies, Train to Busan and The Girl With all the Gifts were all really good. But zombie films are still mostly shit, yeah.

• Awards Moderator

Just got back from watching Western Stars. Oh my.

It was always going to get a minimum 3.5 star rating regardless of how good it was, simply because it’s centred around Springsteen playing the new album in his big mad barn, but honestly, it’s beautiful.

The performances of the songs are raw, moody and the string section to his side make every song emotional, but it’s the short videos in between which really make it. An introspective Bruce provides voiceovers whilst we see his personal home videos - some of which go back decades - and they tie the film together perfectly. In them, he touches on the songs, the metaphors the lyrics represent, his personal struggles with himself over the last four decades and how this record is one of his most exposed. He also picks up on his frailties that are becoming more apparent as he gets older.

It’s so wonderfully shot and I found myself just smiling in awe in between the songs I had to resist from singing along to in the middle of a packed theatre. You don’t have to be a fan of Bruce to appreciate this; it’s a personal piece that anyone with a soul will enjoy watching.

Here’s the trailer, if you want a snippet:

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Agreed @Frankie Crisp- watched it too, and it’s so beautifully shot. The between bits really added an extra layer to the songs. And that barn! How I want to be invited to a party / have my wedding there.

There’s a beautiful moment captured where you see one of the cellists just smiling to himself during one of the songs. I don’t blame him. Wonderful.

Something Bruce said in the Q&A afterwards really got to me. He was asked what he wanted from the film (or something like that), and he said in that unmistakable voice, for you to go to see it with your gal, and then, towards the end, you hold hands. God, Bruce, my heart near exploded. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator