DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I watched all the Wrong Turn films and can confirm the only half-decent ones are the first one (but it does have Eliza Dushku so it can fuck off) and the Henry Rollins Rambo one.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
#henryiscool

The Lifeguard Kristen Bell in a swimsuit most of the film. 11/10. In seriousness though, it starts out a bit fluffy but there is genuine heart to it.

Some Voices I have never rated Daniel Craig but he is superb in this playing a person with mental health issues (schizophrenia I think but I don’t think it’s mentioned). He nails it, and it had me blubbing like a baby at the end.

Old School Had never seen it. Will never rewatch it.

• Paid Members

Rewatched Pontypool tonight, which is still a really fresh and unusual horror film. Absolutely love it.

Also watched Juan of the Dead, which was really enjoyable too. Underwater zombies! The only zombie film I've ever seen where they're referred to as dissidents too.

Watched Ad Astra. What a load of shite that was. Don't know why I expected anything else but I've not seen a more paint-by-numbers film in years. Predictable, boring dialogues, some scenes bordering on cringe-worthy. Avoid.

Watched El Camino last night. Really enjoyable. As Scorch said, it was more of an extended episode of Breaking Bad but that's not a negative. Definitely worth watching if you're a fan of BB/BCS.

Not sure what's the right thread for this, but I see Robert Forster has died. I was a fan, Alligator was a favourite of mine, kids always have that scary movie they're allowed to watch that terrified them. For some it was Chucky or films like that, mines was Alligator. 

I really liked him, he was a good actor and very handsome and cool in his own way. He'll probably be best remembered for Jackie Brown, another great film. RIP 

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LEGIT said:

Not sure what's the right thread for this, but I see Robert Forster has died. I was a fan, Alligator was a favourite of mine, kids always have that scary movie they're allowed to watch that terrified them. For some it was Chucky or films like that, mines was Alligator. 

I really liked him, he was a good actor and very handsome and cool in his own way. He'll probably be best remembered for Jackie Brown, another great film. RIP 

Topical because he was in El Camino

• Paid Members
On 10/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, DJM said:

Well The Day Shall Come was not worth the 9 year wait for Chris Morris to make something new after (the far superior) Four Lions. It is not a bad film as such and Marchánt Davis has a stand-out performance in the lead role, but it is disappointing. You can see the satirical comedy Morris was trying to make about FBI sting operations, but he was unable to take that subject and make a particularly good or interesting (or funny) film out of it. It's good to see Chris Morris back making films though and hopefully we will not have to wait another 9 years for him to make something else (be it another film or TV series).

I just found it a bit superficial and scattergun. There wasn't any real depth to anyone except Moses, and it was just a bit...bland and there were some funny moments, but it fell flat. 

I think my expectations were also too high - Four Lions is probably my favourite film ever. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

American Animals was hilarious and tragic. What a load of arseholes, especially the long haired one. Really enjoyed it. 

I thought it was really well made and cracking soundtrack as well. What an amazing story.

Watched the Roger Corman film, or rather films, Blood Bath, earlier. I say films because he essentially filmed the same film 4 times but with 2 very different plots.

The film began life as a Yugoslavian thriller called Operation Titian which Corman put money into and took creative control turning it into an English speaking film, starring William Campbell and Patrick Magee. Corman then had it changed due to disliking the final product into a drive in theatre suitable thriller (that wound up only airing on TV) titled Portrait In Terror

Still not happy with the work Corman changed the whole direction of the film into a vampire horror called Blood Bath about a vampiric painter which wound up being too short for television release so made a 4th edit with extra scenes called Track Of The Vampire

Having seen all 4 versions I kind of preferred the shorter vampire version but on a whole the films are awful to watch with really terrible dubbing in parts