DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

In fairness all the scenes of scary stuff are seperated by moments of levity breaking humour.

No one laughed. There is, but it did little to arrest the repetitive feel.

The Farewell lived up to the hype. It's a really nice story of mortality and family that never once threatens to overstay it's welcome.

There is also a beautiful moment in the movie when they're saying goodbye to their granny, for what they reckon is the final time. As they drive off in the taxi a cover of Leonard Cohen's gorgeous Come Healing is played and it done me in. One of the most perfect moments I've experienced in a cinema.

• Paid Members

Ad Astra is good but undeniably flawed. The positives are it looks absolutely gorgeous and features some truly inspired score choices, while Brad Pitt shows once again he's an incredible talent. The negatives are Brad Pitt's character and his struggles are never really interesting enough to stop the middle part feeling dragged out, and that's with Brad Pitt doing his best to make it work. Watching it, I felt there was a better film in there with better editing choices (it definitely shouldn't be as long as it is).

The highlight, outside the flashy visuals, is when Brad Pitt and TLJ meet on screen and the chemistry is undeniable. TLJ brilliantly playing a fragile and unhinged old man, while Brad Pitt conveys the doting son with only his eyes. Sadly, it only lasts a few short minutes.

Edited by ColinBollocks

On 9/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, ColinBollocks said:

It 2 is dreadful. I wasn't a fan of the other one, but at least the first didn't drag on like 2. In 2 it's a lot of scenes where supposedly scary stuff happens followed by another set piece where scary stuff happens. Almost all of it blending together, creating a mess and turning annoying.

I honestly don't know what I made of it. It's years since I saw the TV film, from what I remember it was OK, part one had its charm, Tim Curry was great but the ending was rubbish.

As for the remake? Firstly I'm not overly keen on jump scares, all of which seemed to be the Clowns face screaming towards the camera. I didn't hate it and thought the cast were fine. But it's a weird mix of over the top jump scares, and that coming of age, heart-warming friendship stuff. I suppose that's what the story of It is, but to me it's hard to put into film. 

• Paid Members

watched Werner Herzog's latest, Nomad: In The Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin on iPlayer last night.

I've only read one Chatwin book, and more than 20 years ago, so probably wouldn't have bothered with this if it weren't Herzog. As it happens, it's excellent, but very Herzog, so depends how you feel about him as a director. Luckily, I think he's bloody great, and this feels like a culmination of a lot of his documentary work. It's self-referential in a way that his films rarely are - it frequently touches on his friendship with Chatwin, and similarities in their work, shows clips of previous Herzog films, and Herzog himself appears on camera more often than he ordinarily does in his documentaries. 

In places it reminds me of Orson Welles' F For Fake, in that there are open discussions about the difference between "truth" and reality that go unresolved, and that, as a director, Herzog seems intent on reminding you that the documentary format is wholly artificial - when interviewing people, the camera lingers just too long before they start speaking, and after they finish.

• Paid Members

Ready or Not is as good and enjoyable as pretty much all the reviews have been saying. Off the back of this, The Babysitter and Mayhem (which would double-bill brilliantly with this), Samara Weaving's on quite some run as a lead actress, she's fantastic.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Hard Candy, the premise is a 14 year old girl chats to a 32 year old man online and arrange to meet. She belives he is a pedofile and ultimately turns vigilante.

Currently on Amazon Prime. Good film - not a pleasant watch though.

I hate this film so much. Genuinely terrible in every way and spectacularly shit.

"And guess what...I fucking hate Goldfrapp!" Ugh. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KJHenley said:

In the Shadow of the Moon

Just a mess. City looks gorgeous though, so there's that.

Can't disagree with this. Boyd Holbrook is even blander than Bradley Cooper, amazingly.

• Paid Members

Elizabeth Harvest just popped up on Netflix. Weird sci-fi horror thing, heavily influenced by Ex Machina. Too long and occasionally boring but also weird enough to just about keep your interest going.

Most importantly of all:-

Carla Gugino and Abbey Lee naked hug in a grave

Saw Ad Astra at the IMAX tonight and really enjoyed it. Glad I went to the IMAX to see it as, visually, it is absolutely stunning. Brad Pitt looks way too much like Rob Lowe though and Donald Sutherland mumbles all his lines so I have no clue what he said but it’s a straight forward, simple movie which you don’t get very often with sci-fi movies (especially space-based ones). Very often they’re convoluted and overly complicated. 

Pitt isn’t going to win any acting awards for this - as he doesn’t really do any acting in it - but it was good to see him do something a bit different to his usual thing. 

If you are at all tempted to watch this, make sure you see it at the cinema. It’s one of those movies that needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. 

• Paid Members

I watched The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler back-to-back today. I know that Carl Kolchak is mostly remembered for the TV series but these two films are really good. Shame the only versions I could find were crappy quality YouTube uploads but for TV movies they're still excellent.

• Paid Members

Ready or Not was great, another offbeat horror film that totally delivers like a few others from the last few years. Good ensemble, the leading lady was great and her reactions made me laugh out loud. Fat Jude Law was hilarious and Andie MacDowell was good too, I remember an interview a few years back where she bemoaned not getting roles anymore so it's nice to see her in something that wasn't a shampoo ad.

I was overjoyed that the curse was real at the end, was the cherry on top for me, I was hoping they'd do it but still didn't expect it. 

Hustlers was way more watchable than I expected cos I thought it would be terrible. I'm sure me and Johnnyboy were the only people watching it mainly hoping for naked Lizzo but it wasn't terrible, just a pretty predictable crime thriller with a bit of a sexy edge. J Lo looked amazing.

If you like funny side characters who are on edge twitchy female drug addicts i recommend both these films.

• Paid Members

Had a varied double bill at the BFI yesterday. First I saw What's Love Got To Do With It the Tina Turner biopic with Angela Basset as Tina and Laurence Fishburne as Ike Turner. I'm not big on biopics, but the two leads in this are incredible and it's a compelling story. The only shame is that really What's Love Got To Do With It is a pretty shitty song, so it's kind of a bummer that it builds to that. I understand obviously that it's one of her massive solo hits and what it represents, but it's dated so badly. I'd have called it Beyond the Thunderdome... 

Then we watched The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer which is written by some of the Pythons and stars Peter Cook as a ruthlessly ambitious guy who schemes his way to the top. Very funny in places and prescient, but Peter Cook is terrible in it, Harry Enfield in Men Behaving Badly bad. I wondered for the first 20 mins if he was supposed to be playing an alien. Still, absolutely worth your time, everyone else is great in it; Denholm Elliot, John Cleese, Ronald Fraser, Arthur Lowe. Good fun, but you can understand why it bombed. 

Edited by gmoney