DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The film JCVD itself was a bit of a corker and showed he didn't take himself too seriously like Segal does for example. After that it did go a bit too far with him doing adverts with him doing the splits across 2 lorries and the Coors ads. Though he still looks boss in double denim and a mullet.

21 hours ago, DarloKid said:

why did his career go to the shits ?

What I heard was that it was due to his medical condition.  Basically he's practically blind, and as his eyesight deteriorated he couldn't get insured to do the action scenes in blockbuster movies any more.  He didn't want someone else doing all his fight work so he basically carried on but on much lower budget movies where it wasn't as much of an issue.

That's the story I heard anyway, but it's quite possibly bullshit.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching High Life and found it to be very good. It's gripping, intense, uncomfortable, well acted and beautiful to watch. I'm just gutted I never had the time to see it at the cinema, like I had planned. Films like this definitely lose a little when watching it on your telly.

Plus, R Pat closes the things with this:

The guy does it all.

I just watched a bit of a terrible film called London Rampage, made by Britwres’ Greg Burridge. It seems to be an amalgamation of Kickboxer and Rain Man, where a guy enters an underground fighting tournament to keep his autistic little brother safe. Everything about it was so bad.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I dunno if this is the right place for it but I know 3D is a load of bollocks but what's the consensus on IMAX? I've never seen a movie in IMAX before and was thinking of going to see Ad Astra at the one near me - is it worth the price?

I've seen a couple of things on it and it definitely adds to the experience. Not 3D films though, fuck that noise, just proper films like Fallout. It's worth the occasional visit.

Watched A Fistful of Dollars on Netflix earlier, the first film in the famous Dollars trilogy of Westerns that launched Clint Eastwood's career, went into it blind as I've never been into that genre but I'm gradually trying to watch a lot more older and well known films outside of my more familiar comic book and horror films. I have to say I really enjoyed it, the overdubbing on the dialogue took me out of it a tad but the action kept me hooked in. Was going to watch the full trilogy but oddly Netflix only has this and the third film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but not For A Few Dollars More for some reason

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Was going to watch the full trilogy but oddly Netflix only has this and the third film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but not For A Few Dollars More for some reason

It's on YouTube.

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2019 at 7:37 PM, DEF said:

Maximum Risk (1996) JCVD (2008) and Universal Soldier: Regeneration (2009) are all well worth a watch. JCVD is absolutely remarkable in fact.

Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning is also much better than it has any right to be, really enjoyed it, really clever take on the franchise, and I honestly didn't see the twist coming. Lundgren is superb in it, too.

The thing with Jean Claude Van Damme is that he's self-aware enough to do the "aging action movie star" gimmick a lot better than the likes of Seagal who are still so hung up on being seen as a bad-ass.

I was trying to work out the other week how many films Van Damme has been in where he plays either multiple characters, multiple versions of the same character, or an ironic version of himself. If we count TV, in Jean-Claude Van Johnson he manages to do all three! 

• Paid Members

A Few Dollars More is my favourite of those three. Indio's probably more terrifying than Ramon or Angel Eyes, and I just like how the story flows. Lee Van Cleef as a good guy is even better than he is as a villain, and he's bloody awesome as a villain. Also, with the exception of Ecstasy of Gold in TGTBATU, I prefer the soundtrack overall. Plus

the finishing sequence with the music box stand-off is a classic piece of cinema, just as deserving of recognition as the cemetery scene in 

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.[.spoiler]

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've seen a couple of things on it and it definitely adds to the experience. Not 3D films though, fuck that noise, just proper films like Fallout. It's worth the occasional visit.

Back in the day, I went for a couple of interviews at CineWorld and almost got the job if it weren't for the big speech I made on how terrible 3D films were during the final group interview;

"Let's ignore narrative and character development because THIS DUDE'S FIST IS TWO INCHES FROM YOUR FACE!!! WHOA!! AND THERE'S PIECES OF GLASS FLYING ALL AROUND YOU!!! WHOAAAA!".

I still stand by it.