Jump to content
Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Recommended Posts

Bumblebee is, apparently, the Transformers film we've all been waiting for. I haven't, I never cared about Transformers. So I don't know if that's actually the case or not but it's definitely one of the year's biggest surprises. Predictable, maybe, but also really funny and well directed. An 80s homage that actually hits all the right beats, which is pretty rare.

Also, Big Match John does it again. He had a superb year.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bumblebee is, apparently, the Transformers film we've all been waiting for...

A brilliant selling point.  "Look, we know all the others have been shite, but this one isn't.  Honest."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's got Gen 1 design, made by a director who genuinely loves the original series. Michael Bay where he works best these days; in the background to help consult on the action scenes, and John playing a blinder again. Whats not to love?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

220px-Nightoftherunningman.jpg

A hit man (Scott Glenn) chases a Las Vegas cabdriver (Andrew McCarthy) holding $1 million stolen from the mob.

Another one of those 90's movies that's been seemingly lost in time and forgotten about. Scott Glenn plays one hell of a hit man in this, just a total bastard with no morals or regard for anybody but himself. Andrew McCarthy plays Logan, who stupidly thinks he can keep the $1m he found in his cab and get away from it. Little did he know, he's got the human equivalent of the fucking Terminator following him at every turn. An excellent thriller, with Glenn in tremendous form, who rightly steals the show. A weakness could be levelled at the lack of character development, in Logan in particular though. A little more time spent developing him at the start would have helped IMO but it's still a riveting ride and a lost gem of a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zep81 said:

220px-Nightoftherunningman.jpg

A hit man (Scott Glenn) chases a Las Vegas cabdriver (Andrew McCarthy) holding $1 million stolen from the mob.

Another one of those 90's movies that's been seemingly lost in time and forgotten about. Scott Glenn plays one hell of a hit man in this, just a total bastard with no morals or regard for anybody but himself. Andrew McCarthy plays Logan, who stupidly thinks he can keep the $1m he found in his cab and get away from it. Little did he know, he's got the human equivalent of the fucking Terminator following him at every turn. An excellent thriller, with Glenn in tremendous form, who rightly steals the show. A weakness could be levelled at the lack of character development, in Logan in particular though. A little more time spent developing him at the start would have helped IMO but it's still a riveting ride and a lost gem of a movie.

I watched this earlier in the year as well, it was alright. Scott Glenn is always great though, one of those character actors who elevates anything he's in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holmes and Watson

Fuck me, it's pretty bad.  Will Ferrell does a funny voice, there's maybe 3 or 4 chuckles in it and there's Strowman with a small part.  I wish the Mrs had agreed to Bumblebee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched this earlier in the year as well, it was alright. Scott Glenn is always great though, one of those character actors who elevates anything he's in.

 

10 hours ago, zep81 said:

220px-Nightoftherunningman.jpg

A hit man (Scott Glenn) chases a Las Vegas cabdriver (Andrew McCarthy) holding $1 million stolen from the mob.

Don't know if he's in anything famous now, but Andrew McCarthy is definately one of the more forgotten members of the 80s "Brat Pack".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Holmes and Watson

Fuck me, it's pretty bad.  Will Ferrell does a funny voice, there's maybe 3 or 4 chuckles in it and there's Strowman with a small part.  I wish the Mrs had agreed to Bumblebee.

I haven’t seen a single positive review. I was off to see it Boxing Day but they were only showing it in a 30 seater screen which I thought was odd (though now makes sense) and was sold out. As someone who thinks Step Brothers was a comedy classic, this makes me sad.

Also saw Bumblebee. Agree with Devon, clearly the best one as it was based on the actual toy line and cartoon. Captured 80’s movies pretty well. Definitely some ET vibes. Soundtrack was great, even if there was too much of The Smiths. It was about 20 minutes too long, but that’s quite common at the moment. Spider-Man is still the best blockbuster released this month, but this is close. Next up, Poppins 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As someone who thinks Step Brothers was a comedy classic, this makes me sad.

If there is a crumb of solace to be had, there are both boats and hoes in it.  I was right disappointed having seen JCR in the excellent Ralph Breaks the Internet and Stan and Ollie in the past fortnight.  As Meatloaf has taught us, two out of three ain't bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mary Poppins Returns is decent. Everyone and everything is trying so hard to make it great, but it never feels like it finds it's momentum. Some of the tunes and the dance numbers are good fun, of course, but I wasn't really feeling the emotional heft of the film. They tried to pull on the heartstrings, but I felt it too shallow an experience to ever get to the point of crying a wee tear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Mary Poppins Returns is decent. Everyone and everything is trying so hard to make it great, but it never feels like it finds it's momentum.

Kermode sounded like he was going to break down in tears in his review and I'm glad it is touching the cockles for some people, but I'm in agreement.  It does suffer from half a century of expectations, but a lot of it is that it simply doesn't live up to its predecessor.  Cover is not the Book is possibly the only musical number that would earn a place in Mary Poppins.  Annoyingly so much of it is on the money, especially the casting.

The biggest disappointment for me was my daughter's reaction as she's a Poppinsamaniac (taken her to see the musical, has various anniversary editions on DVD and Blu-ray etc, been to see the original when it's been on a limited cinema run, countless Poppins shirts and swag, the complete Poppins books by Travers, the new release illustrated (and signed) by Lauren Child).  "It was alright.". Even though she's a teenager, she's generally a touch more effusive if she likes something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bae Vicky C did a thing on the BBC about PL Travers over christmas.  Hopefully she didn't do any of her 'jokes' on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 11:19 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

What was Martin Freeman and the other stand in's connection to the school play? I missed that explanation.

My sister-in-law and I had a lengthy discussion a few Christmas’s back about how the relationships intertwined.

Best we could come up with for that was that they worked with Colin’s mate on the film set. Colin was there as a workmate of Alan Rickman’s character (can’t remember his name) so I’m guessing Colin invited his mate who invited some more mates (Freeman & Stacey from Gavin & Stacey).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mortal Engines is exactly as boring and bland as you've been told it is. A complete waste of time and money spending this much money on a film that has nothing but cool visuals to recommend it for. It deserved to bomb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...