DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Breaker Upperers is a lovely little New Zealand comedy that, whilst not pant pissing funny, had me smiling pretty much the whole way through. 

Paddleton is warm, sad, made me cry a little and features a REALLY good performance from Ray Romano. How about that? 

Well done Netflix. Still nailing that quirky comedy genre. 

54 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Nothing about that film sounds like something I want to watch.

Mahershalla Ali acts the shit out of it and if you're not offended by the heavy handedness it tackles racism with there's some joy to be had but mostly it's blatant oscar bait.

The Prodigy. Not a bad spin on the possessed child genre. A boy is born at the same time as a serial killer who has the gimmick of chopping a hand off his female victims is slain by cops. On that fateful night, the spirit of the baddie enters the child and later the mysteriously gifted lad (very well played) soon starts acting up and doing nasty things to his peers and all the usual possessed child things, but thankfully we're not just ripping off the Exorcist here. There are a couple of very effective jump scares and while it's not quite in the same league as The Babadook and Hereditary, I found it a perfectly fine way to spend a Sunday evening in the company of Desperate Mother and Troubled Offspring. Piper from Orange is the New Black doesn't get quite enough to work with to make it great, but really not too shabby at all. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

The Apartment really is one of the greatest films ever made, isn't it. Been ages since I first saw it but it's way better than even I remembered and I loved it first time round as well. Possibly one of the best endings ever too.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Anyone who needs Ali in their life needs to watch his masterclass in the latest series of True Detective.

I thought the first season of True Detective was fantastic, but I didn't really get into the second season. Is season three an improvement on the second, or am I in the minority of not getting hooked by it? 

• Paid Members

Watched Conspiracy Theory last night, had never got round to it before. The first two-thirds were nothing like I expected at all, there was probably a really good and serious film about brainwashing in there somewhere, until it just became a standard action-thriller late on. Still generally quite good fun though.