DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

I haven't seen or read anything that could convince me it's not white saviour Oscar bait shite.

If it was a thread, it would be picture heavy and read like a third rate blog that offers up nothing to discuss.

• Paid Members

I just feel like I've seen that sort of thing a million times before and I didn't like it on those occasions either. Viggo Mortensen's prattish comments about it and Peter Farrelly also being an idiot, not to mention the Shirley family's response to it, hasn't exactly had me rushing out to see it either.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I haven't seen or read anything that could convince me it's not white saviour Oscar bait shite.

Glad you enjoyed it though!

Blah. As a piece of moving cinema about two opposing characters, it's well done. The white saviour narrative is floating about (hence my comments about it being a bit 80s/90s), but that doesn't exclude the films ability to entertain.

There are several scenes where they try addressing the white saviour narrative and, indeed, the person of colour being a sympathy vote for old whitey. As johnnyboy mentioned etc.

• Paid Members

The Kid that would be King - I wanted to see this for two reasons. Firstly if it was suitable for my 5 1/2 year old to see (it is) and secondly, because as a massive Adam and Joe fan, I want to support Cornballs.

It's a good film, slightly bloated but shared some things with his previous film Attack The Block such as using a lot of new talent (good thing) and having one of the lead kids being a bullying arsehole whom you are supposed to support still (bad thing). Some great acting, a really nice modern twist on the King Arthur story and a good way to keep the kids, and yourself entertained this half term.

Followed it up by coming home and watching Passengers. Like a big budget episode of Black Mirror but blander.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Probably a bit harsh.  It definitely hits the right notes for worthiness in terms of Oscar consideration, but the white saviour trope is superficial.

It's explicitly a film about an Italian-American racist teaching a queer black man how to be more comfortable being 'real' black.

It unironically has the line "I'm more black than you!" in it. It's basically a music equivalent of Michael Hayes teaching Mark Henry about blackness.

It also has 

The guy who has been building to the final night on his tour passing on the decision a out whether or not to perform to the white guy, removing his own agency in favour of the guy who really understands black people.

It was also written by the son of the guy who explicitly says he's a bullshitter, which makes for an odd filter.

BlacKkKlansman

Thought it was really good although a touch too long me. Got a bit bored in the middle but still very funny and the best Spike Lee movie I've seen or quite a while. Denzel's son was brilliant and will no doubt become a megastar like his dad.

Although, I'm not sure if it's explained or if I just missed it but:

the two ex-military guys who are part of the KKK and look really shady that the FBI are investigating - what comes of that? Is it ever explained who they are or why the FBI are looking into them?

• Paid Members

Alita Battle Angel is pretty good fun. A shame it leans so much on setting up sequels (which it probably won't get looking at its tepid box office) but the cast are great and the action scenes too.

Green Book- White racist guy teaches poncey black guy how to be proper black whilst black guy teaches him how to be proper. Tbf, the white guys racism is sold as if it's born out of ignorance in the style of a racist grandad more than hatred so it would be a bit easier to forgive and accept his absolute sudden change of heart if he hadn't thrown two glasses in the bin out of disgust because some black fellas had drank out of them at the start. Other than that it's a pretty good homage to PTaA.