Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

dunno, I'd say the scenes showing the armies of Hell in Spawn were pretty fucking awful

Outside of Nu Metal club nights, I don't think anyone considered Spawn to be a major movie.

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I dunno, I'd say the scenes showing the armies of Hell in Spawn were pretty fucking awful - I don't know the technical terms, obviously, but the phrase "cut and paste" comes immediately to mind.

Thanks for that.  I have literally managed to forget I ever watched this film, and now it's come flooding back to me.  The second worst film I've ever seen in the cinema, after this one (also because of terrible use of CGI):

This is the culmination of everything that we've been talking about.  This is what happens when a special effects director makes a whole film, and forgets that films are meant to have life, story, characters, soul.  It's completely dead inside, this film.  One of the only films I've ever walked out of, and with only about 1/2 hour left.  When they get to the magical island or whatever shit, Mrs Loki just looked at each other and thought "enough".

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Outside of Nu Metal club nights, I don't think anyone considered Spawn to be a major movie.

Seemed to get a fair bit of press, to the point where I was shocked that something that publicised would have such shit VFX, but I take your point. It wasn't a massive blockbuster.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Thanks for that.  I have literally managed to forget I ever watched this film, and now it's come flooding back to me.  The second worst film I've ever seen in the cinema, after this one (also because of terrible use of CGI):

This is the culmination of everything that we've been talking about.  This is what happens when a special effects director makes a whole film, and forgets that films are meant to have life, story, characters, soul.  It's completely dead inside, this film.  One of the only films I've ever walked out of, and with only about 1/2 hour left.  When they get to the magical island or whatever shit, Mrs Loki just looked at each other and thought "enough".

Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow was such a big disappointment. I was really looking forward to seeing that sort of 1920s, Flash Gordon-meets-Allan Quatermain-meets-Metropolis-style sci-fi pastiche, with giant, gunmetal robots out of The Day The Earth Stood Still, and it just ended up being such a load of bollocks. Great idea, terribly executed.

Edited by Carbomb

Darkest Hour - pretty much what I'd expect, really. Gary Oldman's done more interesting roles than this. Joe Wright should be busy on Hanna 2, not doing this sort of thing.

Bird Box - Another quality Netflix original from this year. The central idea is quite flawed and the time-splitting gimmick doesn't really do much for it, but it's lots of fun and Sandra Bullock and Trevante Rhodes are dead good.

45 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bird Box - Another quality Netflix original from this year. The central idea is quite flawed and the time-splitting gimmick doesn't really do much for it, but it's lots of fun and Sandra Bullock and Trevante Rhodes are dead good.

Good to know. I loved the book when I read it recently but haven’t been sure how well it might translate to screen.

Mary Poppins Returns

It's not bad, but it does pale in comparison to OG Poppins.  Blunt and Miranda are both excellent, the animated sequences obviously look sexier than the one from the 60s and some of the musical numbers are good to really good including one where Blunt is absolutely smoking.  However...

the "Step in Time" number is fucking wank even with the X-Games BMXing going on.

Then right at the end...

did they use Angela Lansbury as Julie Andrews had knocked them back for a cameo?

Mississippi Grind - Just Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds cruising round, shooting some craps, betting on horses, being good mates. Simple, engaging stuff, one of Mendelsohn's best roles too. Analeigh Tipton is lovely.

Warm Bodies - Loved this. Glosses over some plot points but it's really charming and Nicholas Hoult is brilliant. Analeigh Tipton's in this too, swoon.

The Strangers: Prey at Night - Not quite as totally shit as the original but still really shit. Johannes Roberts needs to be stopped. Why was Christina Hendricks in this?

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why was Christina Hendricks in this?

Sadly she doesn't seem to have got many good roles following Mad Men which is a fucking travesty considering how talented and ridiculously hot she is.

I loved Mary Poppins Returns. It’s probably got its negatives but I was so enthralled I didn’t really care. I had a smile on my face from start to finish and spontaneously burst in to tears when 

Angela Landsburys song started. Was transported to being 5 years old again. It’s what cinema is all about surely?

Edited by cobra_gordo

Just got back from Die Hard, I'll be hanging the stockings up and then off to midnight mass.

First time I'd seen it in the cinema and Jr's first time seeing it.  Lovely father and son time and he even paid for my pick 'n' mix.  (Someone else had been mining all the white mice 😞 )

Finally got round to seeing Mission Impossible: Fallout after missing it in the cinema. It’s just non stop. Not just one of the best actions films of the year but easily of the last 5-10 years. Also doesn’t go the route of shaky single cameras for the fight scenes, like every film since the Bourne Identity, which was a welcome change. Cavill should be Bond, dude oozes charisma and looks like he could snap you like a twig if he needed to ( might just have been because he was standing next to Tiny Tom though)

I saw Love Actually for the first time last night. It was good. I enjoyed it exactly as much as I thought I would. I don't feel the need to watch it every Christmas as some do but I wouldn't mind if someone puts it on. The only story I didn't like was about Colin going to Wisconsin, I thought that was a bit too ridiculous.

What was Martin Freeman and the other stand in's connection to the school play? I missed that explanation.

EDIT: I also saw Rampage in my brother in law's really awesome home cinema room. I don't get to see films in there very often and all I could think was what a waste of an opportunity it was that we watched that shite. It wasn't terrible but it was just instantly forgettable fluff.

Edited by Chest Rockwell