Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

I saw it last night and...I thought it was quite good. Its going to polarise (I'm above the pun!) a lot of the audience and I understand that BUT Samuel L Jackson is bloody class in it and its got some really great moments.

Its different and it skewers 'comic book movie' tropes. I think it might be a film that benefits watching it again when you know what's going to happen.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I saw it last night and...I thought it was quite good. Its going to polarise (I'm above the pun!) a lot of the audience and I understand that BUT Samuel L Jackson is bloody class in it and its got some really great moments.

Absolutely, it had great moments. I had serious goosebumps as they touched on Dunn/Joseph in a Batman/Oracle relationship, and for the opening hour, I was so happy. So, so happy to be where I was. Then it went into the third act and I felt like I'd just watched Shyamalan shite himself in white linen. The Sarah Paulson reveal was the beginning of the end for me.

I will say that everyone played their parts brilliantly. Jackson, Willis and especially McAvoy were everything they should have been, and not unlike our Loki there, I think...thought...thunk Shyamalan to be a genius and wonderful storyteller, but - excuse my bitter crudeness - he left me feeling gaped after that last final hour/hurdle.

I had a feeling there wouldn't be the huge fight that Elijah kept banging on about, but for Shyamalan to keep teasing it and then to just kill everyone off the way he did, in the manner that did, was appalling and has ruined one of my favourite movies of all time in Unbreakable for me.

I'm not even over exaggerating when I say that. I hold Unbreakable in the same manner that I imagine some people hold Star Wars.
How Blumhouse didn't put the brakes on that ending and make him reconsider is beyond me.

Apologies for moving away from the Glass discussion although Branquey might like it that way, I've been ploughing through some Ghibli films I'd never seen (still got a few to go) this week.

I think Ponyo is the best of them but, typically, there are no weak films in The Cat Returns or Only Yesterday or Arrietty. They're always showing Ghibli films at The Light in Stockport but they're always evening showings so I can't get to them.

That's one area I'm looking to get more into this year, watched My Neighbour Totoro for the first time a few months ago when Film4 had a whole season of Ghibli films and loved it, the problem is the DVDs and Blurays can be pricey, even on second hand markets

Back when Play.com existed, they occasionally had sales on Ghibli movies at 3 for £15 and I managed to grab most of them up to Ponyo. I had a look at what ones I’ve missed since then and they’re all still going for over a tenner on eBay so I reckon I don’t care so much about owning them all when I can stream them for nowt.

I'd recommend the Ghibliotheque podcast. The gimmick is that one of the hosts has seen every Ghibli film, the other has basically seen none of them, and they discuss a different film every episode, so you get a bit on the history and making of, and then a chat about how it fits into Ghibli's oeuvre, and what they thought of it. Usually some fun tidbits in there.

I need to rewatch Ponyo; I wasn't overly sold on it first time around, but Ghibliotheque (mostly) raved about it, and the book Miyazakiworld discusses it as one of the greats, so it's probably due a second viewing.

I didn't think much of Arrietty - it was the first Ghibli movie I saw in the cinema, and recently rewatched it, and it's nice but doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. I don't mind my Ghibli films being relaxed and meandering, but it lacks the kind of set-pieces and imagination that would normally make up for that.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'd recommend the Ghibliotheque podcast. The gimmick is that one of the hosts has seen every Ghibli film, the other has basically seen none of them

Anime me Marc! Anime me Peter! 

Went to see Stan and Ollie last night. A wonderful little film that had nearly reduced me to pissing tears in the final section (in a nice way). Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are both fantastic in this. Thoroughly recommended.

4 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Bird Box. It's like a significantly better version of The Happening. 

I enjoyed it for what it was. And Sandra Bullock is still smoking. 

Sandra Bullock has this incredible vicious circle quality where she can switch between sexy and unsexy in a flash which only makes her more sexy. A while ago it may be, but the scene where she's trying to keep up with the group choreography in Miss Congeniality, I'm set on having her kids.

Mid90s is fucking brilliant. Coming of Age is one of my least favourite genres, but it's such a great snapshot of a time period a lot of us probably grew up in (though not in southern California, but still aware of the sub-culture), and though it hits the usual plot beats you'd expect from such a story, it does so beautifully. It's one of the most authentic looking and feeling period pieces ever, too. It genuinely feels like something shot in 1994.

3 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Mid90s is fucking brilliant. Coming of Age is one of my least favourite genres, but it's such a great snapshot of a time period a lot of us probably grew up in (though not in southern California, but still aware of the sub-culture), and though it hits the usual plot beats you'd expect from such a story, it does so beautifully. It's one of the most authentic looking and feeling period pieces ever, too. It genuinely feels like something shot in 1994.

He absolutely nailed the soundtrack as well. And the shots of the Stretch and Bob tapes at the start were a real mark out moment for me. Listen to him on their podcast and you can tell he loves hip hop and wanted to be as authentic as possible. 

Really great film.