DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On 2/2/2018 at 12:18 AM, Carbomb said:

One of the more recent screenings I went to see was the 1980s Masters Of The Universe movie with Dolph Lindgren as He-Man. 

i remember renting that as a kid in my local video store and thinking it was crap then would'nt say it holds up

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, kidzero said:

i remember renting that as a kid in my local video store and thinking it was crap then would'nt say it holds up

Definitely not! It's a bad, bad movie. But it is a lot of fun, and there's a lot of hilarity to be had from it. My favourite thing is the fact that the big final battle between He-Man and Skeletor takes place in near darkness, dimly lit with red light. It seems to be some artsy, stylistic choice, but it's nothing so grandiose: it's simply because Golan-Globus, the studio that made it, was formed by a pair of chancers who thought they could cheat their way to the big bucks by doing things on the cheap (like buying the rights to making sequels like Death Wish 2 onwards, and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace), but somehow couldn't get their spending right; as a result, they ran out of budget to finish MOTU, and were locked out of the studio. Their solution was to sneak the crew and actors into the studio, and film it in secret, only barely lighting the place so as not to be found out by studio security. State of it.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Thread just reminded me how much I hated Return to Nuke'em High Volume 1.

Unfunny shite.

Then you REALLY don't want to see Return to Return to Nuke'em High Volume 2. It's an absolute incoherrant mess even by Troma standards.

• Paid Members

Well, there it is. It's not something I do regularly, and it's not like every shit movie is going to be entertaining, but on occasion there's laughter to be had from something shonky, and I don't need to be stoned to do it - lucky to be me, I guess. I saw MOTU because I hadn't seen it since I first saw it at the cinema as a child; I figured my (supposedly) more adult eyes might have a different appreciation of it, and they did. A fun time, only a couple hours out of my life, and I'm normally taking in new stuff, whether it be Amazon, Netflix, Comixology, or just regular books and DVDs.

Wasn't it one of the very first, if not THE first, to include a post credit scene?

Anyway, I watched 1922, which was bollocks.  Molly Parker was good as usual but the film did nothing at all for me.  Then again I've never been a fan of Stephen King.

Then I watched American Hustle which was very good.  It came across as a Scorsese tribute band but a solid 5 Joe Pesci's in a cornfield out of 8.

• Paid Members

I watched Phantom Thread (or "Phantom Phhreead", as my silly arse uttered) earlier. Delighted to come out with the news that the DDL & PTA combo won 2-0.

It lacks some of the glorious scene chewing of There Will Be Blood, but in it's place is some incredible considered performances. Obviously, DDL will get most of the plaudits (he is indeed wonderful), but Lesley Manville and Vicky Krieps are right there with him - two of the better performances I've seen in a while.

There Will Be Blood was probably my favourite film of the last decade (and in the running for the "ever" debate), but Paul Thomas Anderson's output has been mixed since (The Master being very "meh" and Inherent Vice being borderline good, borderline). Pleasingly, he's on the ball during this, with the ubiquitous Jonny Greenwood score and the visuals elevating one another in the same way it worked so flawlessly in There Will Be Blood. Even the costumes grab you with how beautiful they are and further raise the visual stakes of the movie.

I walked in ill, regretting not sitting in the house, but 5 minutes in I found it to be completely gripping and it took my mind off how awful I was feeling beforehand. If this is DDL's final effort I doubt he'll do any better than this; it's one of those great and rare films where everyone is on top of their game and it all comes together to create something really special, similar to how I felt when There Will Be Blood became a film I instantly fell in love with. I can't wait to see this again.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn't it one of the very first, if not THE first, to include a post credit scene?

Outside of comedies like Airplane, it's one of the first. In terms of 'there's more to come!' style post-credit scenes, it was pipped  to the post by Young Sherlock Holmes, which had a sled going being pulled through the alps, leading to the following revelation:

That Rathe, the villain of the movie, is now calling himself 'Moriarty'.

• Paid Members

The new Cloverfield film is going online tonight, Netflix were making an announcement today and people were expecting a release date for it but it's come as a complete surprise that it's being released on Netflix all over the world straight after the Super Bowl. All that's been out so far is one short trailer.

• Paid Members

That is quite the revelation. 10 Cloverfield Lane was really interesting. John Goodman was great in it.

I've felt shit for weeks and for some reason, all I've wanted to do for the last couple of weeks is watch quirky, indie, feel good romantic comedies and catch up on what I've missed in the last few years.

Adventureland-Having only remembered him from BvS and The Social Network, and from what I remember him being incredibly annoying,I found Jesse Eisenberg fairly charming and likeable here. Also having never found Kristen Stewart attractive, I now love her, her sleepy stoned eyes and her top lip (probably not good enough for Branquey but still)

Nick & Norahs Infinite Playlist- Michael Cera is a great actor,and I enjoyed his bandmates, and Kat Dennings was cute,but this was pretty shit. Jay Baruchel steals the show as the obnoxious boyfriend

Youth In Revolt- Again,really enjoyed him as Francois and Ray Liotta was a joy in his little cameo.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World-Have no idea how I'd avoided this for so many years and I thought it was an absolute joy. Mary Elizabeth Winstead>everyone else

Me, Earl & The Dying Girl-loved it. The macabre sense of humour that they have, the films that Greg and Earl make are a delight, and I thought Olivia Cooke nailed her performance, and yeah, I really enjoyed this film, and watched it again the next day.

The Fundamentals of Caring-Could watch Paul Rudd in any old piece of shit, and I'd enjoy it, and whilst this was a bit too soppy, it never descended into all out mawkishness, and the lad from Submarine, Craig Roberts steals the show as Trevor, who suffers from muscular dystrophy. At first I didn't recognise him, and thought he was American and his British accent sucked, but then looked up that he was Welsh, and it all made sense. Think this might be the first film I have seen with Selena Gomez in, and I thought she was alright to be honest.

Other People-Saw Jesse Plemons in Black Mirror and was really impr-AND HOLY FUCK IVE JUST REALISED HE IS IN BREAKING BAD TOO..jesus, how did I miss that?Anyway, he plays a comedy writer who moves home from New York to Sacramento to look after his dying mother, and again, it never gets too heavy handed and Molly Shannon turns in an incredible performance. Well worth watching for that. Cannot get over how much Jesse Plemons reminds me of Philip Seymour Hoffman in this film.

Things I've learned from all of this. Michael Cera is in every independent film ever, and whilst I would be somewhat irriitated by the whimsical indie music, ironic t-shirts, mustard colour wool tights and kooky hats, my type is definitely quirky-girl-in-indie-comedy.

Any other recommendations on films like these would be more than welcome. Cheers.