DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I think it proves that there are pros and cons to releasing at the same time as a huge franchise film. You can ride on coattails if you're a similar sort of film and I wonder if Jumanji's success will lead to a change of release strategies in future.

59 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It doesn't interest me at all but it's been a slow burner at the box office, that one. I thought it would do better than Jumani, actually, which hasn't quite happened. Jumanji passed $850 million last weekend and is number one again at the US box office. Incredible performance.

It didn't interest me at all either, which probably helped me enjoy it as much as I did. I had low expectations in regards to an enjoyment factor, but it really did blow me away. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film so much.

In regards to Jamanji, saw this just after Xmas and that was really fun too and a great family film to enjoy without having to concentrate too much. The reason I think this gave Star Wars a good run for its money is because it gave parents an alternative, There is always going to be a proportion of the audience there just because they wanted to go to the cinema, not because they necessarily wanted to see a specific film and this hit the right notes for the family audience and a good alternative to Star Wars. 

• Paid Members

Rebecca Ferguson needs a better agent or something. After Rogue Nation she should have been a massive star but look at the shite she's been in. Good job she's got the next one round the corner.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I was dragged to see The Greatest Showman and I thought it fucking terrible. It's like the studio said "Here's a few bob. Go make an even shitter Baz Lurhmann movie..."

That's exactly how I thought it would be which is why I haven't seen it, I loved Romeo + Juliet when I was 15 but that stuff's  not really my bag now. 

I just saw Downsizing, luckily I heard it was unwatchable after the first half hour which means my expectations were at rock bottom. It wasn't bad, certainly not amazing but I liked the quasi sci-fi premise, the shrinking thing was a unique enough hook that I was invested to the point where I was happy to spend a couple of hours seeing which direction they decided to ride the idea out with.

Where do people stand then with David Ayer?

Got round to watching Bright over the weekend, and whilst it's not amazing, it was an unapologetic action film despite the weird fantasy nonsense.

I've realised that a bunch of his films as writer and Director - Training Day, Dark Blue, End of Watch, Sabotage, Bright... they are in a way the modern equivalent of the sort of action movies that guys like Michael Winner used to knock out.  Uncomplicated action films about guys (usually cops or robbers) having big shoot outs with plenty of blood and guts.  They all fill a niche that I'm quite happy to watch!  

Then you have something like Suicide Squad, which was absolutely terrible and puts you off him for life.

• Paid Members

Bright's one of the worst films I've ever seen. Same with Sabotage. Both have absolutely no upsides at all.

That said, End of Days was pretty good and so was Fury. He can usually direct a good action scene but he'd even forgotten how to do that with Bright. He's a tough one to pin down. Far too obsessed by his political and social stances to just make a proper, straightforward action film like he often seems capable of. Fury and End of Days should have both been better.

He didn't make Dark Blue though @Loki, that was Ron Shelton.

I agree on End of Days. Arnie is great in that film and the rest of the cast more than hold up their end. It's good but it feels like it should really have been one of the stand out Arnie films and instead it just about scrapes above the standard shite he was churning out back then.

12 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

It's a bit of a let down and all over the place (obviously due to the fact it was never meant to be part of the Cloverfield mythos) but there's a few nice surprises - albeit tacke on - throughout.

Just watched The Cloverfield Paradox and I pretty much agree with the above. It is pretty good, but it is a bit of a mess and they could have done much more with the film.

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Can't disagree either. Some enjoyably weird moments and Elizabeth Debicki is a bloody gem but it was a mess within the universe it's supposed to be set. As a standalone sci-fi horror, it's ok, about on a level with Life.

• Paid Members

You could say the same of 10 Cloverfield Lane though. They're two films co-opted into the franchise rather than created specially for it. I don't think they've written either of them in very well at all.

The next film is specifically written for the franchise though so hopefully it will pick things up and answer some of the questions from The Cloverfield Paradox especially.