DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I thought 3 Billboards was absolutely brilliant.  It's definitely my kind of movie.  I can see the issue with Rockwell but I don't think he's as bad as that.  His character arc really is the focus of the film, and I thought he sold his redemption quite well.  It's a beautiful production as well, looking forward to more films from this director.

• Paid Members

Yep, Mute is getting a total pasting. I liked Source Code and probably would have liked Moon if it wasn't for Rockwell but I haven't been hugely hyped for this like some have. Looks as though it could be for a reason.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, Mr_Danger said:

Talking of ex bit part Friends actors one of the little dudes who play Ross's son in it is a creepy little shit in Dismissed. Well worth a watch if you want something low maintenance but entertaining. Frank Sobotka is in it a bit too.

I know it's odd to be quoting something this old, but it stuck in my head, and I just found out that this guy also plays Jughead in Riverdale, the recent TV adaptation of the Archie comic series, which I'm enjoying immensely at the moment.

What's up with the Netflix film out put? They've had plenty of success with its tv shows but without doing any research I think the only good film they've made that I've seen is that Elijah Wood one.  Is it just a case of them trying to be all 70's and letting the directors and actors do what they want?

• Paid Members

By and large their film output has been disappointing but there have been quite a few exceptions. The film you mention is probably their best original so far, but I also thought What Happened to Monday, The Babysitter and Tramps were all really good films. Gerald's Game too.

I am very much in the pro-Netflix camp when it comes to their model though. They're affording chances to upcoming and promising directors and encouraging a range of projects. I think their approach is refreshing and to be applauded.

• Paid Members

They're also throwing a reputed 9 figures into Scorsese's much-anticipated The Irishman, because no big studio wanted to fund it after Silence bombed, apparently. You can't be hating on that. Giving filmmakers, new and old, another place to make projects that would likely get scrapped (some, as it turns out, correctly so) is wonderful. They just need to get a better handle on quality control is all. It's also worth noting for all their excellent series, they've also released some right turkeys too.

I'd add Okja to the list of excellent Netflix movies. It was one of the very best movies released last year. Allegedly, big studies liked most of the script, but wanted to cut the ending (which would have ruined the bloody film). Netflix were more than happy to release it as is.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Okja's great, and I agree with the benefits of having someone like Netflix prepared to fund projects that could never get launched theatrically any more (I'm now wondering if there's any scope of Netflix, or someone like them, being able to get David Lynch out of filmmaking retirement...), and allow creators more freedom to just do what they want with minimal interference, but the problem I have with them is one of ownership, though that's a problem I have with the majority of digital media - with no physical release for Netflix films on shows, you're reliant on Netflix keeping them there to watch for months, or years to come.

At least with a video, DVD, Blu-Ray, whatever, once I've bought it, it's mine, and it's not going anywhere. I just have a strong suspicion of digital media removing ownership from the consumer, and don't like the idea of someone else curating my media library, even if that someone else is producing decent content.

• Paid Members

Agreed on Okja, it was really good.

I mentioned Tramps earlier, Adam Leon wouldn't have got that made without their backing even though his debut, Gimme the Loot (which is absolutely awesome), got rave reviews across the board. Their championing of Mike Flanagan, Jeremy Saulnier and Macon Blair shows their commitment to more independent films and filmmakers. I'm really excited by what they're doing even if it means we'll be denied the chance of seeing the likes of Mute and Annihilation in the cinema, where they would almost certainly have more impact.

• Paid Members

Netflix investing in original feature films to go along with its small screen offerings can only be good news for film lovers. It's like this generations direct to video VHS boom of the 80's, only with more quality control than the 80's VHS distribution companies had. 

Garland is great, he also co-wrote one of the best written and wholly underappreciated games of the last generation, Enslaved. I'm fucking loving modern Sci-Fi with films like Ex Machina, Snowpiercer, Arrival and Blade Runner: 2049 and not getting to see Annihilation on the big screen is a pisser.

Oh, I finally saw Lady Bird and it's great, I'm a sucker for a good slice of teenage life and it's one of the best. Far less "hip" that I thought it would try to be too and the toxic mother/daughter relationship was played brilliantly.

I can't wait for Annihilation. Looks like it's going to be very different from the book but there was no way they'd be able to keep it faithful so I'm alright with that.

People have been comparing it to 2001 which is making me even more gutted that I can't see it in the cinema.

I'd watch anything made by Alex Garland and staring Oscar Isaac. I wish Garland got to adapt and direct The Beach. Would have been phenomenal.

• Paid Members

Well, Mute is a very, very, very bad film. Not quite Bright bad but pretty close. If Duncan Jones thinks this is his Casablanca then I can't wait to see what his Plan 9 from Outer Space is. It's a fucking disaster.

Also, for the attention of @Astro Hollywood, Noel Clarke is in it. Yep, that bad.

Oh, and Ulf Herman. No, really.

Edited by Devon Malcolm