DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Netflix investing in original feature films to go along with its small screen offerings can only be good news for film lovers. It's like this generations direct to video VHS boom of the 80's, only with more quality control than the 80's VHS distribution companies had. 

It could be, if they were giving, say, $2m apiece to 50 interesting new filmmakers, rather than $100m to the Suicide Squad guy so he could make Bright. They could really be fostering new talent with the kind of money they chuck around, but instead it's mostly going on idiots like McG and a four picture deal for Adam Sandler and his shit mates.

Mute's fucking mental. Netflix need a legitimately good film in their exclusives soon, or they're going to become the studio that produces stuff other studios turned down because it needed a couple more drafts. Right now they're the home of stuff you've got to watch because it's so weird-bad.

That's probably a bit unfair, as they have put out some great stuff, like Beasts of No Nation, but the last 3 big releases are Bright, The Cloverfield Paradox, and Mute, which share the same horrendously over the top bad reviews.

Oh God, yeah @Devon Malcolm, I was livid when I realised I'd have to sit through some of his 'acting'. Who was Ulf Herman, the big lad with the glasses?

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Speaking of films on Netflix, The Foreigner is a hell of a lot better than it has any right to be, really.  At first glance it's a Jackie Chan vehicle, but it's got a really good cast, a good director, and the script/story is surprisingly sharp despite it being essentially a generic revenge thriller (which admittedly is one of my favourite genres).  It reminded me most strongly of Patriot Games with a touch of Long Good Friday thrown in.  And some kung fu.

It feels like I've been watching Jackie Chan movies my entire life.  In fact, I pretty much have.  The guy's drive is astonishing - this is his production, and at an age when he could be forgiven for retiring or just taking pay checks, he's assembled this impressive production, and taken on a much more complex part than he usually does.  And still doing his own stunts as well, by the looks of it. 

Edited by Loki

On 2/23/2018 at 10:31 AM, Loki said:

I thought 3 Billboards was absolutely brilliant.  It's definitely my kind of movie.  I can see the issue with Rockwell but I don't think he's as bad as that.  His character arc really is the focus of the film, and I thought he sold his redemption quite well.  It's a beautiful production as well, looking forward to more films from this director.

Genuine question, as I see a lot of vitriol on twitter about Sam Rockwell's character, (highlight for spoilers) but do you, or anyone else for that matter, think he gets redeemed by the end of the film? To me, he became a better person, but by no means did he become a good person. Clearly still a racist and mainly immoral person.

• Paid Members

While Black Panther is undeniably a good superhero movie, I'm a little sad to say I found it to be underwhelming. Given the incredible reviews, I went in expecting something really special and a high point in the genre, but it never got there.

The positives:
I thought the entire cast were brilliant. In particular, Michael B Jordan who played his villain like some horrid Chris Brown / Will Smith offspring hybrid - loves a good villain and Jordan was great.

The concept of this African country being this high-tech advanced place was wonderful and refreshing; it really added a lot to the experience. Some of the tech ideas were very good too.

It absolutely flew by. 134 minutes is the running time, but it never dragged, which can happen. Always a sign of a good time.

The negatives:
I felt the last third felt proper rushed. I can't be arsed posting spoilers, but it lacked a training montage, yo. It's odd typing that a film of 134 minutes could have used more time (and maybe it would have hampered the pacing), but just come the finale I wasn't into it as I felt I should have been because of how rushed the ending felt.

Pretty much all of the jokes were shite, and there were a lot of them. One old boy behind me loved everyone of them, but the entire cinema sat in silence for 95% of them. Clunky jokes that are poorly acted always make me groan and will never not hamper a movie, for me.

Again, it's a good superhero movie, but I definitely wouldn't say it ranks above or beside the very best in the genre. The jokes weren't good enough and the finale was a little weak for that. Sorry for being so racist @Carbomb.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Watched Lady Bird this weekend. The mother/daughter relationship is particularly great, it moves along at a really nice pace and is just a really good coming of age story.

Agreed. Not quite in the same class of The Edge of Seventeen but still really good.

Also saw The Shape of Water today. Pretty good but at this stage I'd say we're unlikely to see anything from Guillermo del Toro in the class of Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone again. That's three pretty underwhelming films in a row now.

18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Agreed. Not quite in the same class of The Edge of Seventeen but still really good.

Also saw The Shape of Water today. Pretty good but at this stage I'd say we're unlikely to see anything from Guillermo del Toro in the class of Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone again. That's three pretty underwhelming films in a row now.

I enjoyed The Shape Of Water. Though I thought Three Billboards was a better film, I thought this was a better directed film and also think Sally Hawkins should win best actress at the Oscars (which is not to say I would be disappointed if Frances McDormand won again) as I thought she was great in this and deserves the recognition.

• Paid Members

My memory sucks so sorry if I've said this before but I've really got into Elijah Wood over the last couple of years.  I never had anything against him but after seeing Grand Piano (really underrated film), Maniac, Pawn Shop Chronicles, Open Windows, etc he's become one of my faves, I  really like his choices of roles, he even teamed up with my man Nic Cage in a decent recent heist thriller. 

I watched the new Netflix film I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore last night because he was in it and it was great and he was brilliant in that as well.

• Paid Members

Grand Piano is arguably the stupidest film I've ever seen but he is very good in it. I'm not a fan of most of the films he's been in but he's always watchable. That said, I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore was one of the best films of last year, I thought.

• Awards Moderator

Watching The English Patient this afternoon, mainly because it won Best Picture and I feel like I should have seen as many of those as possible. It's really hard to watch Ralph Fiennes acting all whispery while wearing prosthetics and not just see Voldemort. You can also tell it's a Weinstein-produced film - there's a hell of a lot of unnecessary perving going on.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Watching The English Patient this afternoon, mainly because it won Best Picture and I feel like I should have seen as many of those as possible.

Why?!