DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

He’s been on The Walking Dead for the past 7 years, so I’m hoping to see him in more from now on. 

Fucking hell has that shite been on for seven years? I can remember now posting here about how underwhelmed I was by the first terrible season. That was at a time when I had been reading the comics, too, so I really wanted it to be even halfway decent...

• Paid Members

Tomb Raider was ok but I can't help but be disappointed that it wasn't better. Vikander was perfect in the lead but it's so safe and barely more than a set-up for a franchise, especially with such a shit ending. Goggins seemed really reigned in and was wasted. Dominic West was awful. Vikander and the plane scene pretty much saved it.

• Paid Members

I've finally been catching up with a lot of films I missed out on last year.

Got around to watching Mother last night. Fucking shit. I loved Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler and Black Swan but Aronofsky's last few movies have been gash. Noah was pretty bad but at least it didn't have a sense of 'LOOK AT HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS! THEMES! METAPHORS! I'M SO CLEVER!' that is so prevalent in Mother. And as attractive as Jennifer Lawrence's face is, staring at it for 90 minutes of a two-hour movie doesn't make for a thrilling experience.

On the other hand, I caught up with Wind River and Patti Cake$ and loved both. 

God's Own Country bored me stiff for the first half but does turn into something incredibly emotional and moving by the end.

2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

God's Own Country bored me stiff

*snigger*

Went to see Gringo last night. They managed to pull together a good film but it feels like had it had a better editor and tighter screenplay we'd have something on the level of Nice Guys. It criminally under utilises Sharlto Copley as well as most character relationships but Harold is such a loveable guy and it has a good few laughs.

Still, I can't help but wonder what it would have been had Shane Black wrote it as a buddy movie with Harold and Mitch and more cartel shenanigans.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Paddington 2 should have won.

A million times this. I watched it again yesterday and it is every bit as magic as the first time.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Daddy's Home 2 was a rudderless sequel, which coasted on the gimmick casting of Mel Gibson and John Lithgow. Disappointing, as the first movie was surprisingly good.

You don't know what gimmick casting means, do you.

• Paid Members

Any recommendations for Foreign language films from the last 5 - 10 years? I used to be well into them before that but somewhere I just sort of stopped seeking them out. I saw Train to Busan and Shin Godzilla recently and fancy  seeing what else I've missed out on.