DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hiring seasoned actors to do their jobs isn't it. Hiring flavour of the month personalities for acting jobs beyond their abilities is.

Exactly. I mean, imagine hiring Mel Gibson to play a gruff, sarcastic, tough guy role. He almost never plays those.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DEF said:

Any recommendations for Foreign language films from the last 5 - 10 years? I used to be well into them before that but somewhere I just sort of stopped seeking them out. I saw Train to Busan and Shin Godzilla recently and fancy  seeing what else I've missed out on.

Depends what sort of thing you like, really. Any particular genres in mind?

I suppose I meant it in the sense that the first movie had Mark Wahlberg coming into the scene as the father of Will Ferrell's character's children and then the finale introduced John Cena as the father of Mark Wahlberg's stepchild.

Then the second movie introduces Gibson and Lithgow as Wahlberg and Ferrell's parents and the movie coasts on it and doesn't really do anything with it.

I did get it arseways in fairness.

There are a couple of funny scenes, like the staring you in the mirror scene from the trailer (I love those setups reminiscent of Airplane) and the Liam Neeson cameo, but the movie just drifts aimlessly for the most part devoid of any kind of structure.

It had the potential to be better.

6 minutes ago, DEF said:

Any recommendations for Foreign language films from the last 5 - 10 years? I used to be well into them before that but somewhere I just sort of stopped seeking them out. I saw Train to Busan and Shin Godzilla recently and fancy  seeing what else I've missed out on.

Oldboy was excellent IMO, and City of God was good, but you've probably seen them already.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Depends what sort of thing you like, really. Any particular genres in mind?

Generally speaking I'm an Action or Horror kind of guy but I'm open to anything. For instance this week I've mainly been watching Werewolf and Monster movies where as last week I watched about 10 American football movies. So pretty much anything not boring.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Oldboy was excellent IMO, and City of God was good, but you've probably seen them already.

Yep old favourites from back when I was big into foreign cinema.

26 minutes ago, DEF said:

Force Majeure and Ruben Ostlunds latest The Square are both excellent.

In Order of Disappearance starring the always great Stellan Skasgaard was one I caught recently, and is well worth a watch too. Still up on iplayer.

Watched Annihilation. It's a good film, nothing more, nothing less. Liked the way it switches genres from mystery sci-fi to horror/thriller to existential arthouse, and Portman is always watchable, and Tessa Thompson is my new crush, but it's not going to blow anyone away.

19 minutes ago, DEF said:

Generally speaking I'm an Action or Horror kind of guy but I'm open to anything. For instance this week I've mainly been watching Werewolf and Monster movies where as last week I watched about 10 American football movies. So pretty much anything not boring.

I am a Hero isn’t too bad if you enjoyed Train to Busan. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, DEF said:

Like SuperBacon said, In Order of Disappearance is great. For more Stellan Skarsgard goodness, also check out A Somewhat Gentle Man and King of Devil's Island. Skarsgard is the shit. For more Scandinavian action / thriller stuff, Headhunters is superb as well.

There's still a lot of really good South Korean stuff doing the rounds. The Man from Nowhere was good, The Terror Live was unusual but excellent, and Tunnel is a cracking disaster film. A Hard Day is highly recommended as well, an excellent action thriller with a great plot.

There are loads of others too from across the joint. Watched an Egyptian thriller called Clash the other day, really good stuff. Sleepless Night and Point Blank are quality French action thrillers, Ils (Them) is a fantastic horror thriller. Spain have done some good stuff as well, The Hidden Face is a quality mystery-thriller if you can find it, as is Sleep Tight. Cell 211 is one of the best prison dramas I've ever seen, too, well worth tracking down.

There's loads more I could recommend but I think those will do you, there's some great stuff there.

• Paid Members

Cheers all. I'll see what I can track down from that lot. Hopefully some will be on the various streaming services I have. Of those mentioned I've only seen Sleepless Night which was a good watch.

• Paid Members

Get "Immoral Tales" and "The Beast" watched for some Walerian Borozyck madness, then if you want to, go to the softcore version of "Emmanuelle 5" (supposedly Walerian only directed the "Love Express" scene, but you never know. KODI you're only getting the hardcore version unfortunately if you go down that route) and then finish it off with his last film in about 1988 "Love Bites" (which starts off all sleazy like then turns into some sort of vampire tale). I think "Immoral Tales" and "The Beast" are on the BFI Subscription service.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/

He could be a hilarious man, when he wanted to be, like from about the 80s onwards where he couldn't give a fuck. RIP.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

If you want to watch a Punjabi film. Char Sahibzadde is good. It's an animated film. With the the lives of the children of the tenth Sikh guru being the central subject of the film . It deals with historical landscape of India during the 1600s. It's been on the Indian Sony channels in the last couple of weeks. Plus is also available on DVD. I'd be interested to know what people's opinions of it are.

Edited by BigJag

20 hours ago, DEF said:

Raw, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Martyrs.

I imagine if I watched Martyrs now I'd not like it as much but back when it came out I was all over it. Raw tho, that's one of the few films I went out and bought a blu-ray of straight after watching.

Love Exposure is possibly my favourite foreign film of the last decade but be warned, it's four hours long and there's an even longer TV cut out there too.