DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I saw I Tonya last night , I love weird films full of craziness and imagination but with biopics I prefer them to stick to the truth as much as possible, having said that, the fact that you don't quite know where the truth lies really worked for this one and the way they did it was fun.

I'm really glad that among all the madness they still managed to get across what an amazingly gifted skater Tonya was, apparently they wanted someone to recreate her famous triple spin in the movie but no woman on earth can do it and only 6 have since Tonya did it 27 years ago. That's amazing and it adds a sadness to the film because it was such an incredible gift but everyone fucked it up.

• Paid Members

You Were Never Really Here is a special film. There is an emotional heft to it that can be proper overwhelming at times - the eyes were watering a couple of times. A chunk of the deaths on the film are incredible bits of cinema.

Also, the score reminded me of Swans. As it thumped and sang when it had too; I was wondering if Michael Gira had a hand in it, but it turns out it was the incredible Jonny Greenwood. Similar to Phantom Thread, the score is vital and elevates the visuals and words every time it starts.

Beautiful, repulsive, melancholic, dark, seedy, violent and inspiring, all at the same time.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BigJag said:

It won an Oscar. I'm not sure why. Definitely a good film.

How to contradict yourself in 12 words.

Saw Gringo on Friday. Surprised that it's getting such a critical mauling because it's just a really fun crime comedy. Great cast too although Amanda Seyfried and Thandie Newton don't get owt to do.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Deserves every accolade it got and Frances McDormand.delivered one of THE female, hell performances full stop, of recent times. Harrelson put in a great shift too and it's an utterly compelling, intense and tremendous movie. A modern masterpiece that brilliantly mixes such an emotional and gripping story with comedy. Stunning.

It wasn't that good like.

Jumanji is ace though. When I can sit and laugh at a Jack Black performance I know they got something right. The trailers for this made it look really soulless and shit but it's anything but. I think adventure comedy Rocky is the best Rocky. This, Moana and Journey 2 are probably my favourite films of his.

• Paid Members

Can anyone name any video game-based films that were better than OK? I can't think of any. Even when the Jolie TRs were released, they didn't exactly get rave reviews.

34 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Can anyone name any video game-based films that were better than OK? I can't think of any. Even when the Jolie TRs were released, they didn't exactly get rave reviews.

Would Silent Hill count? I remember it getting good reviews, Resident Evil somehow got 6 movies so I guess it done well.

• Paid Members

The original Resident Evil was alright, considering it was Paul WS Anderson. The rest are shite aside from Extinction, which was surprisingly good. Otherwise I can't think of anything.

Watched a fun little film called Mayhem tonight. Virus breaks out in an office block but it's not a zombie film, which was a relief, but a great little action comedy thriller. Samara Weaving is great again, too.

• Paid Members

I have a real soft spot for video game adaptations but even the better ones aren't particularly good.

Street Fighter 2 The Animated Movie has to be my top pick. Follow by Final Fantasy Advent Children.

The trouble with game movies is inherently the games themselves were heavily based on the tried and tested conventions of far better movies. Doom for instance is essentially a boiled down Aliens with a shoe string plot. Extrapolating those shoe string plots to a feature film just isn't enough. Not to mention the films are made by movie people as IP grabs. Sooner or later video game fans will be in a position to make good ones in the film industry but it hasn't happened yet.

Silent Hill is probably the best of the live action that I can think of. Followed by Resident Evil.

Other worthy mentions. If your a fan of DTV action are Mortal Kombat, D.O.A and Tekken.

The absolute most rotten I've seen are King of the Fighters and Street Fighter Legend of Chun-li. Both virtually unwatchable.