DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

13 hours ago, BigJag said:

If you want to watch a Punjabi film. Char Sahibzadde is good. It's and animated film. Which tells you about the lives of the children of the tenth Sikh guru. It deals with historical landscape of India during the 1600s. It's been on the Indian Sony channels in the last couple of weeks. Plus is also available on DVD. I'd be interested to know what people's opinions of it are.

I loved it but I'm Punjabi so had a vested interest in the story. Ā Not usually a watcher of Punjabi films though. I also enjoyed the follow up 'The Rise of Banda Singh Bahadur'

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I imagine if I watched Martyrs now I'd not like it as much but back when it came out I was all over it. Raw tho, that's one of the few films I went out and bought a blu-ray of straight after watching.

Love Exposure is possibly my favourite foreign film of the last decade but be warned, it's four hours long and there's an even longer TV cut out there too.

Yeah, I'll never watch that, and I'm not that keen on Sion Sono as it is. No film needs to be 4 hours long.

Just watched The Belko Experiment. Mostly a waste of time except for John C. McGinley. James Gunn is shit.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, BigJag said:

If you want to watch a Punjabi film. Char Sahibzadde is good. It's anĀ animated film. With the the lives of the children of the tenth Sikh guru being the central subject of the film . It deals with historical landscape of India during the 1600s. It's been on the Indian Sony channels in the last couple of weeks. Plus is also available on DVD. I'd be interested to know what people's opinions of it are.

My RE teacher has clearly let me down here. I was under the impression the tenth guru was the Guru Granth Sahib, that it had been decided to have the book as the permanent, eternal guru after nine human ones? Obviously I've got this wrong - could you please clarify?

• Paid Members

They have let you down. Guru Gobind Singh was the tenth guru. The Guru Granth Sahib was compiled by all ten Gurus. Then initiated as the final Guru, after the tenth Guru. It has remained that way ever since.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

They have let you down. Guru Gobind Singh was the tenth guru. The Guru Granth Sahib was compiled by all ten Gurus. Then initiated as the final Guru, after the tenth Guru. It has remained that way ever since.

Thanks very much for that! I think I must have completely misunderstood him at the time (it's so long ago, could easily have been that).

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Tomb Raider, the story was fucking nonsenseĀ and there was a bit too much of the dad stuff but I was expecting Lara CroftĀ to be fairly dry and workmanlike so I was pleasantly surprisedĀ that she wasĀ the most appealingĀ protagonistĀ sinceĀ Paddington. Every aspect of her characterĀ was completely likeable which made it pretty easy to watch.Ā The action was spectacular enoughĀ too, even Lara's bike race withĀ her mates was fun, as were the little nods to the gameplay of the games it's bases on.

• Paid Members

Just watched The Foreigner. Didn't expect much because I'm really wary of late career Jackie Chan but it's a genuinely really good film. Jackie is superb in it too, a proper good serious performance. Pierce Brosnan's resemblance to, and impression of, Gerry Adams is perfect as well.

I wasted two hours of my life on 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri yesterday.

Shockingly bad movie.

A couple of minutes in I realized what kind of agenda the movie had with the first interaction between Sam Rockwell's character and one of the black gentleman putting up the billboards, the first of several lamely written proxies in the film.

Every character is a caricature; Rockwell's aforementioned character reminding me of Dax Shepard's character in Idiocracy. Every person in the movie is portrayed as a dribbling moron, apart from McDormand and all the black characters.

The script, too, is poorly written.Ā What is this woman's motivation for putting up the billboards I kept waiting patiently to figure out? Yes, her daughter died brutally, but how were Willoughby and the rest of the police department culpable of not doing their jobs properly? We never really figure out. The closest we come is one of several ham-fistedly scripted scenes where McDormand says every man in the country should be put into a database or some shit. Eh, ok?Ā Apparently, the police department is racist, though,Ā but this has no real tangible link to the investigation surrounding her daughter's death. It merely gives Rockwell an excuse to chew scenery, and the Oscars to celebrate how racist America is while lauding another movie that portrays the entire American South as racist and/or stupid.

Another example of the movie's poor scripting, tone deafness and chronically bad dialogue is a cack-handed flashback where McDormand's daughter says she "hopes she gets raped" after storming out of the house the night, she, you know, gets raped and murdered.

The movie struggles, and fails, to find a balance between the seriousness of the subject matter and humour. All through the movie I was wondering is this supposed to be a comedy? An example is the girlfriend of McDormand's ex-husband. I thought it would have had more merit if the ex had shacked up with a 19 year old because he was subconsciously trying to replace his daughter, but, no, the movie basically uses the 19 year old as comic relief in a movie that already has several comic relief characters, including a midget, and doesn't really warrant comic relief.

This brings me to McDormand. Her acting was very good, but a better writer and director would've gotten a better sense of the character. As it is, she resembles a female version of Kevin Bacon in Death Sentence or Bruce Willis in Death Wish playing the female lead in an exploitation movie, rather than shouldering the serious, character-driven piece this should've been. The scene where she kicked a male and female student respectively in the groin area after throwing a can at her car is probably the most egregious example of this movie being a tonal mess and looking for laughs at the wrong time.

Rockwell's character's "redemption" takes the cake in terms of poor writing, though. Someone who turns from dribbling, racist lunatic to conscientious, hard-nosed detective in the space of what must be days in the movie. Don't get me started on the sequence where he attempts to murder someone (which the movie appears to subsequently forget about, as he doesn't appear to be under any sort of IA investigation) and one of the mea culpa proxies, Lester Freamon from The Wire, is introduced in a predictably heavy-handed manner.

I keep mentioning tone deafness, but I haven't even mentioned the best part. The ex-husband having a 19 year old girlfriend is a recurring plot device, yet Woody Harrelson's wife doesn't look a day over 25!

I will end my rant now before I accidentally spoil anything, but, it bears repeating; Rockwell's arc is crucial to the second half of the movie, but, it is written poorly, Freamon's character doesn't really go anywhere and seems to basically be a morally upstanding black character for the sake of the movie's liberal bent in a movie that portrays every white "redneck" character as racist and/or stupid caricatures, and the movie doesn't figure out how properly to transition the co-lead role from Harrelson to Rockwell.

Ā 

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

15 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

So it's bad for portraying people as racists, and bad for having a narrative arc in which a racist learns the error of their ways?

No, the reason it's bad is because it's poorly written. It simplifies and undermines race issues by portraying racist characters as imbeciles and comic relief. It's also incredibly bad character progression for Rockwell's character to go from being an unhinged lunatic to upstanding, crime solving detective virtually in the blink of an eye. He literally goes from the extreme end of unsympathetic to the extreme end of sympathetic in what, one scene? There's no nuance to it at all. It's just popcorn fare as opposed to the intelligent character piece I was expecting.

If you want to see a movie that portrays racism in a more nuanced light, and has a narrative arc where the racist redeems himself in a logical manner that isn't completely contrived, and happens gradually as opposed to the space of about 5 minutes, watch Dead Man Walking.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername