DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I wish I went to it rather than Blockers.

Blockers is fine movie, but I only really proper belly laughed two/three times. A bunch of the better jokes are in the trailer, so that definitely doesn't help.

John Cena is the star of the show, of course.

• Paid Members

Saw Tomb Raider (2018) last night. It was fine to meh on my scale of apathy. The trouble is that with CG over practical effects it's one more step away from any real sense of jeopardy in big action set pieces. What with the game being based on Indiana Jones, without the charisma and Nazi's with added tedious puzzles inevitably a movie adaptation would be exactly that.

• Paid Members

I really liked it - thought it had the right balance of superhero movie and coming-of-age teen movie. 

What ruined it for you?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Probably it being a superhero movie. I'm not a fan but my gf is. 

This is the second main reason why I'm single.

42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is the second main reason why I'm single.

She puts up with the Kool Keith commentary whenever we watch a film and me banging on about Kubrick etc, so it's a fair compromise.  

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

She puts up with the Kool Keith commentary whenever we watch a film and me banging on about Kubrick etc, so it's a fair compromise.  

Kool Keith's Kubrick Kayfabe Kommentaries - that's a podkast I'd listen to.

• Paid Members

I bloody loved Ready Player One. It's not a perfect movie but it's such a good time and I really enjoyed the concept/story.

There are so many nods to 80s pop culture throughout that I definitely missed a lot. Anyway, The Shining scene had me grinning ear-to-ear. I've watched The Shining so often and it was great how Spielberg worked with the film for his film.

Enjoyed it far more than Spielberg's run of historical dramas. More of this please, Steven.