DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

In a rare occasion of disagreeing with Branquey, I quite liked Money Monster. I mean, it is technically awful and Jack O'Connell's American accent is dreadful. But it's also perfect for an evening when you want to watch something utterly stupid but enjoyable.

Wildling just got a cinema release. One of those that was well received on the horror festival circuit, hence the high grade, but seems to be on the downturn now a wider audience is seeing it.

Ah so the papier mache its explanation. It actually started off quite promising with a creepy as hell set up but goes down hill as soon as Liv Tyler shows up with a character that constantly chews to help with some form addiction or something. 

Fracture - Pretty shit, Anthony Hopkins was trying a Scottish accent I think, and Ryan Gosling did smug lawyer.  Worst of all, The Lovely Rosamund was hardly in it and had fuck all to do.

Cry Wolf - Looks well 90s but was mid 00s, was on SyFy and recorded it solely because Jared Padalecki was in it and my gf is a Supernatural fan.  Much like a Greggs sausage roll it was neither shit nor satisfying.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Cry Wolf! That reminds me of around 2005-2006 when I was buying pretty much any new horror DVD from Play.com I could get my hands on. Isn't Bon Jovi in it? Truly terrible. 

Also see The Cave, Shrooms, The Covenant, The Boogeyman and countless more. Although there was one called Monster Man which I still maintain was pretty good fun.

a457220dd3bc8849df660cee38e10384.jpg

So The Great Silence turns out to be an excellent movie. I just love the snowy environment as it not only helps set the movie apart, it creates a new dynamic for the struggle with the law and the outlaws. The character dynamic between Loco and Silence is also fascinating and both actors do a great job. I had no real issue with the dubbing either, yes I'd rather not have it if I could choose, but it was fine and didn't hamper my enjoyment.

Plus, the ending was quite a surprise in breaking from the norm and giving us an ending that. A dark, brutal movie fitting of it. There's a silent alternate ending on the DVD that I havnt watched yet.

• Awards Moderator

On 4/16/2018 at 11:06 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

A Quiet Place

A great movie, worthy of its hype. It reminded me of Signs, only better, and I am one of the biggest advocates of Signs you will find. Actually, Hush, by way of Signs and the Cloverfield sequel you’ve always wanted, with Emily Blunts fascinating top lip on fine form.

Caught this at the weekend and totally agree with the Signs comparisons, particularly the second half set in cornfields. What a cracker of a film. I'm not sure I've ever been so tense throughout a film. My bum actually hurt after. Props to my potentially boisterous Basildon Saturday night patrons who remained silent throughout bar the appropriate gasp followed by the hand clapping the mouth.

I read in the IMDB trivia it was considered to go under the Cloverfield umbrella at one point, which I could've been on board with.

Dunkirk - Well, Dunk to be accurate as I tapped out about halfway through, the scenes with Mark Rylance and Cillian Murphy were ace as you would expect, and the young lad who looked liked the long haired one from One Direction seemed ok, but I was bored and didn't give a shit if they got off the beach or not.

• Paid Members

Interesting Keith. I'm scared to go watch it on my own telly because it was a proper experience watching it in the IMAX, and I'm not so sure it will be nearly as engrossing. Part of the appeal of the film was, in the cinema, all the clattering and banging of war enhanced experience, leading to me feeling anxious and intense by the end of it - it made up for some shallow character work.

Isle of Dogs is decent. The animation is lovely and it's funny in places, but the story is a wee bit on the predictable side, which makes some of the film drag a little.

• Paid Members

I thought Dunkirk was easily Nolan's best film to date, which is faint praise admittedly, but it's a really good and old-fashioned war film and, most importantly of all, doesn't feel like a Nolan film at all.