DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I saw Ghost Stories last night and throughly enjoyed it. Took a while to get going but really enjoyed it and some of the make you jump scenes worked really well. There was also some good humour thrown in so between story 2 and 3 it had me in tears laughing and then jumping out of my skin. Maybe not one to watch in the cinema but thought it was good fun that was a bit different then your generic horrors. 

The Meyerowitz Stories.

Someone said on here that Netflix is the new DTV.  Well, this film has an excellent cast but is really like a direct to video version of The Royal Tenenbaums.  It even has Ben Stiller playing the role Ben Stiller played in Tenenbaums.  I enjoyed it to be honest, even Adam Sandler was bearable, but I couldn't help but feel I was drinking store brand cola instead of Pepsi.

The acting is spot on, Elizabeth Marvel in particular is superb, and there are funny moments, but it just felt like a pretender to the Royal throne.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I couldn't help but feel I was drinking store brand cola instead of Pepsi.

First thing that came to mind when I read this was that brief period in the 90s when nearly everyone I knew was swearing down that Sainsbury's newly-released Classic Cola was better than Coke or Pepsi; this was when Coke threatened to sue them of the use of that swooshy design on their cans.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Meyerowitz Stories.

Someone said on here that Netflix is the new DTV.  Well, this film has an excellent cast but is really like a direct to video version of The Royal Tenenbaums.  It even has Ben Stiller playing the role Ben Stiller played in Tenenbaums.  I enjoyed it to be honest, even Adam Sandler was bearable, but I couldn't help but feel I was drinking store brand cola instead of Pepsi.

The acting is spot on, Elizabeth Marvel in particular is superb, and there are funny moments, but it just felt like a pretender to the Royal throne.

Yeah, it's not very good. I'm not a fan of Noah Baumbach anyway, but it was very dull

• Paid Members

Yeah I found it quite dull, although I loved the part when Dustin Hoffman gets fed up at a party and literally runs home. It’s such a great run as well, like a cricket player starting a run up 

• Paid Members

A Quiet Place:
I went in with the assumption this would be gimmicky and outrageously overrated, and I was delighted to have been proved wrong.

It is an amazing experience, and once I’d highly recommend in a cinema setting to get the full effect of the importance of sound. I haven’t experienced tension like

the labour/birthing scene

since the final third of Argo, and it was fucking relentless from then on. My pots were absolutely rinsed to the point where I got goosebumps.

A great movie, worthy of its hype. It reminded me of Signs, only better, and I am one of the biggest advocates of Signs you will find. Actually, Hush, by way of Signs and the Cloverfield sequel you’ve always wanted, with Emily Blunts fascinating top lip on fine form.

• Paid Members

I must say I was a bit disappointed by A Quiet Place. I thought the concept was great, as were the performances, and it's certainly tense. But I just didn't really experience what everybody else seems to have done. Just thought it was solid, and there's nothing wrong with that.

There's plenty wrong with Truth or Dare though, which was total shite. It's played too serious and the deaths aren't anywhere near inventive, plus the ending is pathetic. Hayden Szeto is great though and he deserves better than this after The Edge of Seventeen.

Rampage was great fun though, The Rock really can't do any wrong. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was quality especially.

Caught up on some films last few days, watched the following:

Sleepless: Thought this was pretty rubbish. Cool soundtrack is probably the only positive thing I have to say about it.

Roman J. Israel, Esq: Didn't have much expectation when watching this with the mixed reviews it received but after viewing it, I really enjoyed it. I thought Denzel Washington's performance was great and thought Colin Farrell played his part well. Ending was a bit weak but would still recommend this film!

Den of Thieves: Decent thriller with a strong performance from Gerard Butler. 50 Cent needs to stop acting, he's proper wank!

I was browsing through some recently added films on my add on of choice and noticed a Liv Tyler effort called Wildling had an unusually high IMDB rating of 7.5. It was unusual in that it looked very cheap and dtv and also in that a Liv Tyler film in 2018 should rate so highly. After viewing it I can only surmise that it had only been rated by about the 20 or so people involved in its  production or it had only been seen by the type of people who jizz over home made papier mache tits as special fx. It's shit.

38 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Money Monster has been added to Amazon Prime. Anyone know if it's worth a look?

It’s your basic hostage negotiation film. 

I watched it when it came out in the cinema as the trailer looked quite promising, was left quite disappointed.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Money Monster has been added to Amazon Prime. Anyone know if it's worth a look?

It's absolutely atrocious. Worth watching for the utterly bizarre scene where Jodie Foster thought it would be a good idea for George Clooney to imitate Jodeci.

It looks and plays like a film Denzel should have been in, playing either character.