DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Dunkirk - Well, Dunk to be accurate as I tapped out about halfway through, the scenes with Mark Rylance and Cillian Murphy were ace as you would expect, and the young lad who looked liked the long haired one from One Direction seemed ok, but I was bored and didn't give a shit if they got off the beach or not.

He is the long haired one from One Direction.

• Paid Members

In the cinema the sounds of the planes attacking the beach was the most fucking terrifying sound I've ever heard in a film. That ear splitting shriek was something I won't forget. I can't imagine any home setup that could truly capture it.

I just watched the 2016 live-action Death Note film, not the US remake but an actual sequel set 10 years after everything with L and Light. It's pretty shit, there's really none of the cat and mouse tension of the original show and the new characters are bland uninspired retreads of older ones. They also really didn't explore the whole idea of there being multiple Death Notes across the world.

• Paid Members
On 3/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

We were both blubbering wrecks ugly-crying in the cinema by the end of Coco. It’s opening-of-Up level emotional. 

Went to see Coco at the cinema this morning with my Daughter. Nearly cried in a room full of children. Masterful film.

A Quiet Place. 

I gripped my ladies hand a little too tight through some/most scenes and she mistook my tension for being afraid. She now probably thinks I'm a lesser man and is questioning if I'm a suitable paterfamilias.

John Krasinski put in a fine turn here.

• Paid Members

Saw Blockers today. Did anyone expect John Cena to make his film breakthrough in comedies rather than action films? Because he's great again in this. It's a good laugh, a couple of weak bits but pretty funny and well-meaning. More Hannibal Buress would have been nice.

I also saw Beast, which seems to have gotten into the cinemas because there's fuck all else on at the moment aside from Marvel films. But be glad of that because it's fantastic, best thing I've seen at the cinema this year. Try and catch it if you can, because I'll only mither you all into seeing it anyway so you might as well.

Went to see Infinity War because my girlfriend is well into comic book films.  She loved it, I enjoyed going to see it, put it that way.  It did have the new Mission Impossible trailer at the start though and that made me happy!

• Paid Members

Glad to hear Beast is good, really interested in that one - I've not managed to make it to the cinema in months, but should make a point of catching that while it's on. I know a lot of people who attended the premiere here and raved about it, but wasn't sure how much of that was local bias, good to see it's well received elsewhere. The real story fascinates me, and it sounds like they've taken a very interesting approach to it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I watched it on Saturday, because as dear Devon put it, there was bugger else new on apart from Avengers - I thought it was quite a packed room to see the film, considering, but nope a lot of people pissed off when the film started because they were in the wrong screen room.

It's excellent. You sort of have a clue which road it's going down early-ish, but the way the story unspools is incredibly gripping. As discussed, the acting in it is very good.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Glad to hear Beast is good, really interested in that one - I've not managed to make it to the cinema in months, but should make a point of catching that while it's on. I know a lot of people who attended the premiere here and raved about it, but wasn't sure how much of that was local bias, good to see it's well received elsewhere. The real story fascinates me, and it sounds like they've taken a very interesting approach to it.

It's not one of those films that spends its time having a dig at small town (or small island) life either. It's quite affectionate for Jersey, its shots are aimed more at class than anything. But yes, it was very good indeed.

• Paid Members

I believe the director's a local lad, so that makes sense. There were a lot of class issues at play around the real Beast of Jersey, who's fascinated me ever since I moved here, as it seems completely at odds with sedate island life, though at the same time, weirdly an almost inevitable consequences of the sort of sordid, insular place it clearly was in the '60s and '70s.

(I know the film isn't telling the story of the Beast of Jersey, but the director has said it borrows a lot from him, and the story of him was the initial inspiration)

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Colour me intrigued, gents. Will take this in tonight. I never shirk a D-Mal recommendation, so that was step one...

EDIT - Rather than doing a dp, I've just watched The Cured. It's quite good. Bit boring at points and could have shaved ten minutes off, but actually really decent. And even better if you look at it like 28 Months Later.

Edited by Scott Malbranque
Didn't want to DP (Oooh Zuzanna) / Double Post