DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Was going to see Isle Of Dogs tonight to replace postponed Flight Of The Conchords gig, but it was Cineworld Unlimited folks only, so went to Tomb Raider instead. Wasn’t expecting much but I liked it - lots to enjoy and Alicia Vikander is great.

• Paid Members

Still catching up with some films from last year;

The Snowman is an absolute mess. I really like Michael Fassbender but why does he choose to appear in so many shite films? Between The Snowman, Assassin's Creed and Alien: Covenant he really had a shocker of a year.

Goodbye Christopher Robin was better than expected. Domhnall Gleeson is pretty much the opposite of Fassbender, he annoys me (not even sure why) but appears in mostly great stuff. With the exception of Mother, of course. He was good in this too. I also enjoyed The Meyerowitz Stories more than I thought I would. Easily the best Noah Baumbach film I've seen, but when the other two were The Squid and The Whale and Frances Ha that's not exactly a high benchmark. 

The Death Of Stalin was excellent. Jason Isaacs just steals that film out from underneath anybody else. 

Blade Runner 2049 - I definitely need to watch this again before I can make my mind up. Loved the visuals and the performances were uniformly excellent (Batista is becoming a genuinely fine actor, isn't he?) but the story just didn't engage me. There were points in the film I should've been emotionally invested, and I just wasn't. But I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I watched it. Definitely one for the re-watch pile.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

All racists clearly aren't imbeciles, though. Unfortunately, lots of intelligent people hold racist viewpoints.

Nope. If you're a racist, you're not intelligent. It's an inherently idiotic world-view/character trait. Presenting it as such isn't part of some imagined liberal Hollywood agenda to avoid giving sympathetic portrayals of bigotry.

9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Nope. If you're a racist, you're not intelligent. It's an inherently idiotic world-view/character trait. Presenting it as such isn't part of some imagined liberal Hollywood agenda to avoid giving sympathetic portrayals of bigotry.

I already explained my problems with the movie, and it didn't have anything to do with portraying bigotry in a negative way; it had more to do with portraying it in a simplistic and haphazard way, like making Sam Rockwell's character a punchline for half the movie etc. etc.

And being a racist may make you many things but it doesn't automatically presume you to be stupid.

Look at all the awards Darkest Hour won with its portrayal of a racist, and one of the great leaders of contemporary history.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. It's a more complex issue and it deserves to be treated as one.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• Paid Members

I really liked it. I'm not necessarily a massive Portman either but she was pretty good by her standards. I liked it more than Ex-Machina but opinion seems mixed.

• Paid Members

Rogan has been speaking highly of Annihilation on his podcast lately. I intend to check it out. he also said Lost City of Z was worth watching. I found that to be a bit of a slog. Still need to finish watching it. It's the story of the guy who inspired films like Indiana Jones. Very  much story led and light on action.

On 26 March 2018 at 4:37 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, I loved it.  The one who let her kid sucked her tit in Game Of Thrones was her usual creepy self as well.  Also, just to echo the love for The Foreigner, far better than it should have been.

Right, watching The Witch this evening, sounds good.  Cheers Guy and Keith.

The Foreigner was really good, wasn't it?  Jackie Chan is a clever man.

• Paid Members

Ever since people on here recommended Streets Of Fire, I've been wanting to watch it - D-Mal posted links to YT for the full movie, and I bookmarked them, but having taken too long, by the time I got round to it, it had been taken down. Just found out it was uploaded again late last year, so I'm not missing it this time. My evening sorted.

• Paid Members

Ready Player One was great fun but also far too long. TJ Miller is extremely irritating though and I wish he would piss off. Pretty sure everyone will come out of this agreeing on the best bit.

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ready Player One was great fun but also far too long. TJ Miller is extremely irritating though and I wish he would piss off. Pretty sure everyone will come out of this agreeing on the best bit.

TJ Miller! That’s the voice I couldn’t place when watching it.

Treated myself to an IMAX 3D of Ready Player One after a stressful week at work and absolutely loved it. So much fun to watch, it captured that feeling of seeing a great film when you’re younger that fires up your sense of wonder and imagination. Been reliving my favourite bits in my head ever since and want to see it again soon.