DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You could say the same of 10 Cloverfield Lane though. They're two films co-opted into the franchise rather than created specially for it. I don't think they've written either of them in very well at all.

The next film is specifically written for the franchise though so hopefully it will pick things up and answer some of the questions from The Cloverfield Paradox especially.

Mike Castle will be on to you, telling you its all part of an expertly plotted master plan

• Paid Members

I remember an interview with JJ Abrehams regarding the Cloverfield franchise(after 10 Cloverfield Lane), and he mentioned the idea was for it to be a vaguely linked anthology series. Though after seeing the ending to the latest film and hearing the next will be a direct sequel, that may have gone out of the window...

• Paid Members

Do I need to see 10 Cloverfield Lane to watch The Cloverfield Paradox? Am supposed to be doing a podcast talking about the latter, but not sure I'll have time to watch both. Have seen the original Cloverfield film. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Do I need to see 10 Cloverfield Lane to watch The Cloverfield Paradox? Am supposed to be doing a podcast talking about the latter, but not sure I'll have time to watch both. Have seen the original Cloverfield film. 

No. Although I think if you're doing a podcast on The Cloverfield Paradox it would probably be useful to know about all the films in the series.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

No. Although I think if you're doing a podcast on The Cloverfield Paradox it would probably be useful to know about all the films in the series.

It's not specific to the series, we're discussing the future of cinema with regard to platforms in the light of TCP dropping on Netflix earlier this week, but there will probably be some discussion on the film itself. I would prefer to have seen all three, but time is not on my side before recording. 

• Paid Members

The Post is a perfectly good, well made movie. I think Devon pointed out it continues Spielberg's near decade-long run of making good but not essential movies, and that's exactly how I feel about it. Everything just ticks along and the story is told, and while enjoyable, you feel like there is either some juice left to be squeezed or the story isn't that dynamic, but instead is held together by Spielberg's mastery of his craft.

I'm interested to see how Ready Player One pans out. It's maybe the most interesting original concept Spielberg has had his hands on in a while. I've had my fill of Spielberg historical dramas.

• Paid Members

Slightly off topic but I thought it fitted in here more than anywhere else.

I went to see Black Panther (12A) in the cinema yesterday. The film was just starting when a woman carried a child in that couldn't have been older than 18 months and sat down at the front. Literally the second the intro music started the child starts crying and staff asked her to take the child out to calm down. She refused. After about 10 minutes the child starts screaming again, staff come back in, asked her to take the child out to calm it down and she refuses again and then...... She gets her phone out and puts Hey Duggee on, with sound, for the kid to watch. So my lasting memory of Black Panther is that there is an advanced, hidden civilization in Africa who overcome adversity and earn their Harvest Badge.

Oddest cinema experience I've ever had.

Went to see The Greatest Showman with the Mrs and kids on Monday. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I found the whole thing great fun and had a smile on my face throughout. There's a few really good songs in there too and had a few of them songs stuck in my head since.

• Paid Members

I'm fully aware I'm in the absolute minority but I really didn't enjoy Black Panther at all.

I went in expecting one of the greatest Comic Book adaptations of all time but I found it preachy and monotonous with appalling CGI at points that was akin to Independence Day 2.

Just wasn't anything like the masterpiece and game changer evèryone is presenting themselves to and bending over for.