DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just saw The Post. Typically safe late career Spielberg but still very enjoyable. Nice companion piece to the much superior All the President's Men and Spotlight.

So Devon, what are your thoughts on his next films being Indy 5 and West Side Story (Ready Player One is already finished)?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Has anyone been to one of those Secret Cinema events and are they worth the money? One for Blade Runner has just been announced.

I know a few people that absolutely rave about them, I think if you like that kind of thing you'd find it amazing because the effort they put in is next level.

They'e not my bag at all though, I don't really get the whole massive innersive performance just to watch the same old film and I can be a miserable cunt about watching stuff with other fans as well, I loved seeing an original 1984 print of The Terminator on the big screen at the Prince Charles cinema but the audience of smug cunts made me cringe. 

• Paid Members

I've been plenty of times to the PCC. It's always been great for me, only time I've ever heard any noise from the audience is when it's a showing that's supposed to have noise, like the monthly screenings of The Room, where it's the done thing to heckle along. Other than that, for regular screenings, place has been quiet as a mouse, except for laughter at funny bits.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The PCC really does attract the worst audience. I hate the idea of watching any film with the crowd from there.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I've never been, but are they the cinema equivalent of "We-are-awesome-clap-clap-clapclapclap"?

I'm not sure to be honest.

41 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I've been plenty of times to the PCC. It's always been great for me,

Oh wait, you're right.

• Paid Members

Only been twice, once for Godzilla, and once for Porco Rosso, never for any of the crowd participation. Been quiet and pleasant both times, though there was barely anyone there for Godzilla, and I think I nodded off halfway through.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh wait, you're right.

Hey, it's not my fault they decided to stick to The Plan and have Kyle Reese go over, when anyone who likes real movies wanted to see the T800 pushed. Give the fans what they want instead of ramming their "Chosen Ones" down our throats!

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm pretty sure @Chris B has.

I actually haven't - from what I've heard, they can be fun, but it's not necessarily the best way to watch the actual film. As they've become more expensive and more elaborate,  I have to admit, they've appealed less. But if you fancy the idea, go for it - I can totally see why they might work well.

I really like the PCC, but it depends what you're seeing. For something like The Room or The Disaster Artist, it can be really irritating if you're not in the mood. And there are some weirdos (the guy who shouted out 'Here we go!' during Jamie Lee Curtis's topless scene in Trading Places was a bit... eww). But for the most part, I've found it a great place for films, especially more serious ones. Been to a few all-nighters there and the audience was quiet, respectful and it was all quite chilled.

Edited by Chris B
Avoiding double-posting when I saw the PCC stuff.

• Paid Members

I've been to the PCC four times. Gorezone film festival, Troma triple feature with the UK premiere of Father's Day, UK premiere of Chinese Zodiac with Jackie Chan Q&A and Troma double feature of the Return to Nuke'em High 1 & 2.

All four have been superb. The audience has been super into the movies and never been a ball ache like normal cinema trips. No talking or phone distractions etc. Frankly nothing like a group of tedious blow hard smarks either. Not sure where that impression comes from.

• Paid Members

Not to mention this isn't some smarky audience going for pure arthouse stuff either. One of the more recent screenings I went to see was the 1980s Masters Of The Universe movie with Dolph Lindgren as He-Man. They have a request blackboard on a wall in the bar, and there are all sorts of titles on there, from The Third Man through Tremors through Broken Flowers to Jaws 3.

Edited by Carbomb