DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I've ranted about it before, but Suicide Squad was ridiculous.

1. Harley Quinn, as mentioned, had no reason to be there. I'd have had her as the squad's tactician - start her off being reluctant and actively trying to sabotage the squad because she wants to get back to the Joker, but have her get into the role when Rick Flagg, the world's best conventional soldier, leads them on a metahuman-related mission where they take heavy losses and find themselves in way over their heads. Cue Harley having to step in to ensure all their survivals with her non-ordinary way of thinking. Immediately, she has more reason to be there other than she's hot, psychotic, and has a baseball bat.

2. The Joker should never be, in any film he's in, a. the least threatening, b. the least funny, and c. the least relevant character. He had a place in the film, but he shouldn't have appeared anywhere near to the degree he did. And Deadshot was funnier. Should've just been the odd moment where you just see his mouth near the phone mouthpiece as he calls Harley, messing with her head, trying to get her to come to him. Would build anticipation for when he does appear in the next Batman (or his own film that we heard rumoured).

3. The Suicide Squad is, by definition, super-villains who've been press-ganged into a squadron against their will. Almost all of them in this film were just "misunderstood people" who'd made mistakes, or were actually good at heart really. Cliché and unadventurous. I like Will Smith a lot, but the way his Deadshot was written was terrible. Deadshot is a psychopath who is one bad day away from slaughtering everyone in the room, he's not some doting father who's only sacrificing his humanity for his daughter. He keeps himself away from her because he knows he's bad. I'd have liked to see Smith play that - he's talented enough, I think. Same goes for Killer Croc, Captain Boomerang, El Diablo, etc.

Given the talent on offer, SS clearly fell short of what it could have been. Although it shouldn't have been surprising, given Warner's DC output so far.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I recently watched Moana, and thought it was absolutely tremendous. Really, really enjoyable film - gorgeous images with all the Polynesian/South Pacific aesthetics, vivid characters, great performance from The Rock, and a main character who doesn't fade in contrast with him, more than holding her own.

Pixar are generally very good, I find. I loved The Incredibles, and they've never really made any huge mis-steps. Looking forward to seeing Coco.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Bukamania said:

Watched Good Times on Netflix, had no clue what it was about. After watching, I bloody loved it and forgive Robert Pattinson for the twilight movies. Highly recommend it!

Yeah, Pattison has low-key turned the franchise around and been in a few good films lately. The Childhood of a Leader (featuring a brilliant Scott Walker soundtrack) being the first to come to mind.

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

Yeah, Pattison has low-key turned the franchise around and been in a few good films lately. The Childhood of a Leader (featuring a brilliant Scott Walker soundtrack) being the first to come to mind.

I will have to give that watch then!

• Paid Members

I finally caught Paddington 2 after hearing for ages that it was an unexpected gem. I really liked it, the romanticised version of London it was set in was really nice and I liked the slightly twee, timeless vibe everything had, it would've been horrible if they'd tried to modernise it too much. I especially liked when it suddenly turned into a Wes Anderson/Coen Bros film in the prison.

The amount of recognisable faces that turned up in it at various points was mental.

I thought Hugh Grant's character borrowed a bit from Jim Carrey's Count Olaf in the Lemony Snicket film but he was great and it's almost certainly the most I've enjoyed him in anything.

Paddington himself couldn't have been done any better, he looked great, his voice was perfect and his personality was spot on, he was so easy to like and root for, really glad they stayed so true to the innocent spirit of the character.