DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I watched that Raw that all the cool arty kids were bumming last year.

I dug it, it wasn't new french extremity like extreme as I was led to believe but I did feel a little uncomfortable during one scene. It's just a solid symbolism filled coming of age movie told in an unconventional way and it looks and sounds gorgeous, also the lead is proper fit with most of the film giving me a weird semi.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A Field In England.

There will come a time when I will stop saying to myself "I know you've given him chance after chance, but you might like this Ben Wheatley film", I wish it was earlier today.

A sixth form student version of Valhalla Rising, with added preposterousness.  Utter fucking garbage and no, it isn't better than Mother! before you start with that shit.

I really don't get what people see in him. Even when people say 'oh x is amazing' and I disagree, I can usually see why they like them. But with Ben Wheatley I just see self indulgent wank. 

Kill List is legitimately one of the worst films I've ever seen. 

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

A Field In England.

There will come a time when I will stop saying to myself "I know you've given him chance after chance, but you might like this Ben Wheatley film", I wish it was earlier today.

A sixth form student version of Valhalla Rising, with added preposterousness.  Utter fucking garbage and no, it isn't better than Mother! before you start with that shit.

Other than the fact I haven't seen Valhalla Rising or Mother!, I complete agree. A Field In England is appalling, I suffered through it because you shouldn't be able to make a bad film set in the Civil War, but fucking hell he managed it. Awful. He almost destroyed Peter Capaldi's Doctor Who at the first hurdle as well with two terrible episodes right at the start of his run.

I will admit I didn't hate Sightseers but this was almost entirely down to Alice Lowe being really good in it. I really enjoy reading Empire but their constant fawning over Wheatley is my least favourite thing about them.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, chokeout said:

I really don't get what people see in him. Even when people say 'oh x is amazing' and I disagree, I can usually see why they like them. But with Ben Wheatley I just see self indulgent wank. 

Kill List is legitimately one of the worst films I've ever seen. 

I liked Kill List. I get why people might not. It wasn't amazing & the end was a bit clunky but it gripped me throughout. I liked the relationship between the two leads & the realistic portrayal of 'gangsters' (just people with families who could be your next door neighbour & you'd be none the wiser). The violence was sudden, shocking & again, very realistic.

• Paid Members

@chokeout and @Keith Houchen - have either of you seen Free Fire? Because I think that has easily the best chance of sitting well with a Wheatley sceptic and I say that because I am one. It's hilarious. Also, A Field in England is better than mother!

@Merzbow - I watched Raw recently. Thought it was ok, like you say it's a bit heavy on the symbolism. What was the scene that made you uncomfortable, out of interest?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@chokeout and @Keith Houchen - have either of you seen Free Fire? Because I think that has easily the best chance of sitting well with a Wheatley sceptic and I say that because I am one. It's hilarious. Also, A Field in England is better than mother!

@Merzbow - I watched Raw recently. Thought it was ok, like you say it's a bit heavy on the symbolism. What was the scene that made you uncomfortable, out of interest?

I've not seen it yet but did notice it's been added to Amazon Prime so i'll give it a watch. 

• Paid Members

Three Billboards was alright but I found it really uneven. Frances McDormand is amazing, as expected but overall it didn't quite come together as I hoped. Not sure McDonagh will ever hit the heights of In Bruges again.

In last night's instalment of "Keith Watches Shit Films", Suicide Squad stepped up to the plate.

What a fucking mess, the only likeable character was Will Smith, I gather he was meant to be playing one of those spandex muppets but it was Will Smith playing dress up, and I don't even like Will Smith.  The rest of the cast were just there, for all the wanking over Harley Quinn she did fuck all and added fuck all.  The only saving grace was the lack of screen time for Jared Leto being a twat.

Only marginally better than A Field In England.

I really enjoyed Free Fire. Devons comment on Sharlto Copleys cardboard armour had me sold. His "Vern is a rare and mysterious jewell, watch and Vern" line.had me waking up the house. Not sure it would have been half the film without him though. 

Whatever happened to the District 9 trilogy being mooted?

• Paid Members

I think Neill Blomkamp's stock fell after the Elysium flop, probably nixed that.

I noticed Copley in the trailer for Gringo, which looks like a potential cracker. I've warmed to him after Free Fire and Hardcore Henry, before that I didn't like him at all. But yeah, he's the MVP of Free Fire, absolutely hilarious.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In last night's instalment of "Keith Watches Shit Films", Suicide Squad stepped up to the plate.

What a fucking mess, the only likeable character was Will Smith, I gather he was meant to be playing one of those spandex muppets but it was Will Smith playing dress up, and I don't even like Will Smith.  The rest of the cast were just there, for all the wanking over Harley Quinn she did fuck all and added fuck all.  The only saving grace was the lack of screen time for Jared Leto being a twat.

Only marginally better than A Field In England.

But Margot Robbie in hot pants, Keith. Fuck sake.

Suicide Squad is a proper mess of a movie, though. I preferred Bright, which is pretty damning considering I hated Bright. They sort of tried with Deadshot, or whatever, but everybody else was so woefully underwritten. Plus, I had to sit through Jared Leto methodizing his way through one of the worst things ever - complete with growls. Yuck.

Edited by ColinBollocks

3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

But Margot Robbie in hot pants, Keith. Fuck sake.

That's all she was there for.  So that nerds, virgins, nerdy virgins and The Branquefurter could shoot their bolt.  Funny how the cunts didn't moan about her costume not being like it should be in the comics, but Superman gets the wrong shade of blue? THIS IS WORSE THAN WHEN MY MUM'S BOYFRIEND WANTED TO TAKE ME TO A SPORTS EVENT!!! YOU AREN'T MY REAL DAD VINCE.