DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I've only recently watched Looper and it's ace fun, even if it can't make it's mind up if it's an intelligent bit of sci-fi or B-Movie like schlock. Personally, I found that weird mash-up to be a bonus.

I watched the most christmassy film ever last night, The Villainess. A South Korean cross between John Wick and one of those K-Dramas, it's super stylish with some of the best action scenes I've seen in a while but it's crammed full with some bollocks story that never really grabbed me. It could have been half an hour shorter without love story and nothing would have been lost. I'd still say it's worth watching, just don't expect John Wick or The Raid like quality throughout.

Edited by Merzbow

I watched a thriller called Better Watch Out the other night and although it's silly, I really enjoyed it. Probably best you don't know too much about it before you watch it but the basic premise of the film is a girl is babysitting a lad at Christmas and things go badly. It has some fun references to Home Alone but with realistic violence.

movieposter.jpg

Mother!

Absolutely brilliant, disturbing, ridiculous, horrible, pretentious.  Everything I want from an Aronofsky film.  Superb performances all round but no Mark Margolis which was a shame.

Just wondering if Dazza is going down the Lars "I hate women" Von Trier path.

Edited by Keith Houchen
Better than Looper.

• Paid Members

Today, I walked into the living room to find my dad watching North Sea Hijack. It was halfway through, so I left before I saw too much, but what little I did see was good. I've been meaning to watch it since Dev suggested it, so I'm going to watch it on catch-up this evening.

• Paid Members

Similarly, johnny, I've had several chances to rewatch it, but I'm bothered the next experience will poke holes in what I experienced at the IMAX. I came out of the screening absolutely battered by the experience.

As Devon rightly typed on the other page, it's Nolan's best work. I usually always find a million things to pick at with a Nolan film, but that was completely minimised in Dunkirk - for a start no character explaining the bloody plot, like the audience is filled with mongs.

• Paid Members

I was thinking about going to see Molly's Game but paying to listen to 140 minutes of Aaron Sorkin dialogue doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Especially after Miss Sloane was so dull, which this reminds me of.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Kingsman Golden Circle is fucking terrible isn't it? I really loved the 1st one but struggled to finish this last night, up there with Crank 2 & Zoolander 2 for horrific sequels

I watched the first the other night. It was fun but it grew a bit tiresome towards the end. It struck me as a film that would have a sequel but wouldn't have the legs to keep the humour going to make it much cop. 

• Paid Members
On 27/12/2017 at 1:14 AM, Keith Houchen said:

Mother!

Absolutely brilliant, disturbing, ridiculous, horrible, pretentious.  Everything I want from an Aronofsky film.  Superb performances all round but no Mark Margolis which was a shame.

Just wondering if Dazza is going down the Lars "I hate women" Von Trier path.

I watched mother! last night, and agree with everything you said! 

Must admit, I didn't get all the metaphors were while watching it(Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer's characters specially), but everything just clicked with me about an hour later while laid in bed thinking about it. Trouble is, I then spent almost every minute of the night running the film and it's metaphors and messages through my head and I'm now completely fucked and struggling to keep my self awake...

3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I watched mother! last night, and agree with everything you said! 

Must admit, I didn't get all the metaphors were while watching it(Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer's characters specially), but everything just clicked with me about an hour later while laid in bed thinking about it. Trouble is, I then spent almost every minute of the night running the film and it's metaphors and messages through my head and I'm now completely fucked and struggling to keep my self awake...

Ha, yeah I'm hoping Dazza has got all his biblical stuff out of his system now.  I did like the

portrayal of God as a complete egomaniac like he is in the Old Testament, and the Gleasons as Cain and Abel

The Disaster Artist

I will preface this by saying that I am a huge James Franco fan. I will watch him in absolutely any old piece of shit (Why Him?, Springbreakers) and enjoy said piece of shit. I think he's great, I think he's gorgeous and seems a nice chap.

I also 'love' The Room, and the book, The Disaster Artist, so you can imagine how excited I was for this film, and the wait to see it seemed like a lifetime.

This film is great. It really is. They seemed to have captured the mythology surrounding The Room, and the madness and enigma that is Tommy Wiseau. James Franco is superb, absolutely nailing the accent, laugh, mannerisms of Wiseau, and for all his image of a buffoon, captures his really dark, nasty side as well. You can tell it was a labour of love for him and he is clearly having the time of his life. Great supporting cast in Seth Rogen and Alison Brie, but for me the stand out is Dave Franco. He is really understated as Greg Sestero, and brings warmth and humility to the film. If you strip away the farcical nature of the film that is being made, this is a really sweet friendship film about two people who believe in each other and support one another.

To be honest, I really don't think you have to have seen The Room or read The Disaster Artist to enjoy the film. Yeah, you'll laugh more I guess at the 'iconic' scenes, but it's a great film without it and you get how fucking mad The Room and everything surrounding it is. To be honest if you can't be arsed watching The Room (and let's face it, why would you?), watch OSW Reviews review of it on YouTube. It'll give you everything you need to know about it, and is piss funny as well.

Oh and

NATHAN FIELDER CAMEO